Camera Mounts fixing

Camera Mounts fixing

Postby Stephen Rowan » Mon Jan 12, 2015 4:00 pm

Has anyone been brave enough to attach a D5 to the outside of a moving car? If you have I would love to know what type of suction cup mount you used.
Stephen Rowan

Re: Camera Mounts fixing

Postby Andrew[MG] » Mon Jan 12, 2015 4:09 pm

I'm sure John Steele has just the jobbie but I'm also 100% sure he wouldn't be mounting his camera on the outside :-O
Andrew[MG]
Site Admin

Postby KB_S1 » Mon Jan 12, 2015 5:14 pm

Are you talking full size SLR?
If so, it will need to be very strong and i would suggest low speed only.

For a Go-Pro you can get away with fairly small suction mounts and high speed but they have much less surface area for aero and mass for momentum.
KB_S1

Postby Nera » Mon Jan 12, 2015 7:05 pm

I think there has been some lesson learning about NOT mounting a GoPro on a vehicle that has been wrapped ... Tendency to 'slip' off so I hear :oops:
Nera

Postby m1key » Mon Jan 12, 2015 11:33 pm

Not sure if you're referring to a Canon 5D or Nikon D5xxx. Either way I personally wouldn't suction mount a full size SLR on the outside of a car. There are some pretty heavy duty suction mounts available but even so I wouldn't take the risk and if so, as Keith said only at low speed.

GoPro's on the other hand are fine even at high speed... Providing as mentioned above you don't fix on a wrap :(

Another option which John uses (but with a GoPro not SLR) is a mount which fixes to the towing eye.
m1key

Postby Hoonmeister » Tue Jan 13, 2015 12:24 pm

As above I would buy or borrow a go pro.
You can borrow mine if you want.
Having mounted the go pro just about everywhere on the car: number plate, door, roof, rear spoiler etc, the most reliable all condition mount is inside top of wind screen. Fit and forget, wipers keep it clear, unlike external mounting which can ruin footage with rain and dirt - see the Stelvio run on the homepage.
Also if you want sound a cheap sound recorder attached to an exhaust mike does the trick as go pro sounds sucks externally.
Hoonmeister

Return to Photography & Video