Gumbaw 2018

Post your Euro road trips in here.

Gumbaw 2018

Postby m1key » Sun Jul 09, 2017 3:24 pm

There's been various chatter recently about a Gumbaw 2018 trip, with a number of folk up for it so thought we could get some ideas together here...

IMO the main thing to decide first is whether it is to include a motor sport event or not as that will impact dates & destination.
Options discussed so far:
  • Monaco F1
  • Monaco Historic
  • Monza F1
  • Monza Historic (not sure taking place in 2018)
  • Austrian F1
  • Another European F1 race
  • Le Mans 24 hr/classic

If so, then we may need to look at booking tickets reasonably early on. When we went to Monaco F1 in 2012 I think we bought the tickets around October time.

Monaco F1 is great event, but the main downside (other than ticket price) is the time of year, with there being a high possibility of the mountain roads being closed due to the weather. In 2012 we had snow at the end of May going up the Col du Turini - Angelus's 911 made a good snow plough! :D

The other option of course is to not tie it in with a race and just focus on the hoon. It's easy enough to fly into Nice for the weekend separately to do Monaco.

Considerations:
Tie in with a motorsport event?
Particular roads we want to do (Route Napolean, alpine passes, autobahn etc)?
Duration?
Time of year?
Factory visits/tours (Porsche, Ferrari, Lamborghini, Pagani, etc)?

Back in 2012 some of us did it in a week, while others made it into a fortnight. The latter obviously gives a lot more options but won't suit all so we can design the itinerary to suit. If possible I'd recommend factoring in some days where you're not moving overnight location, i.e. you can enjoy a drive on the mountain roads without having to clock watch to get to the next destination.

Also I'd recommend not staying in big cities, especially if it's just an overnight stop as it can take a lot of time getting in/out.
m1key

Re: Gumbaw 2018

Postby Craig » Sun Jul 09, 2017 10:40 pm

Count me in for this in the Caterham, an event would be a bonus but I am quite happy to the hooning idea. Any mountain pass will do, even mildly twisties is fine
Craig

Postby outrun » Wed Jul 12, 2017 10:05 pm

As you know, I'm not at all keen to go to the Monza GP after previous experiences with Italian organisation and overselling of seats etc. However, happy to go to historic there which shouldn't have the same issues.

One other thought is to look at 2 events on subsequent weekends. For the first time in years, we could do Le Mans followed by the French GP. These are on Sunday 17th June and Sunday 24th June respectively. Excitingly, the GP is being held at Circuit Paul Richard which is in the south of France, near Toulon and not so far from Cannes, St Tropez and the like. Le Mans is, of course, further north but that works well for trip planning.

I did the Portsmouth to Cherbourg route this year for Le Mans and the drive down is really nice. Lots of lovely back roads and villages, great fun. If we assume that we left Le Mans on the Monday after the race and don't have to be in Toulon until the Saturday, this opens up a zig zag hoon into Switzerland, and down through the Alps into the south of France through San Remo and Ventimiglia etc.

Timing wise, we'd have to leave Scotland on Thursday 14th June and drive to Portsmouth (or similar southern England port, not Dover). Cross on the Friday and drive to accommodation maybe via some D-Day beaches and a bit of history. Race Sat/Sun. Leave Monday. Hoooooooon. Arrive France south on the Saturday. Race Sunday. Leave Monday, head north probably cross Wednesday and home. It's just under 2 weeks.

Option 2 - Another idea which some of my Maserati friends are doing in September is to get the ferry from Portsmouth to Bilboa, Spain. This is an overnight malarky with a bad keyboard player, truckers and bad beer. They are then driving through the Pyrennees which I'm told is incredible. Zero police, amazing roads. One of the guys did it two years in a row in a Type R engined Elise and he knows of fabulous hotels etc that are affordable. Of course, this is also a possible route to the French GP, just in the other direction. If this one is of interest, I can can get the lowdown on route, hotels, costs and timings from the SportsMaserati guys easily, as can Lee too I'm sure.

I love Monaco too but I've been 3 times and of course, I haven't done a French GP at Paul Richard !!! Or a Spanish Road Trip.
outrun

Postby frag68 » Thu Jul 13, 2017 7:47 am

A Gumbaw trip is definitely on the cards for me next year. The Westfield will be put up for sale in the next few weeks and a more suitable Euro hooning vehicle will be purchased thereafter. Indeed a good friend in the village where I live wants to join in with his Boxster.

For me, Le Mans is unfortunately out again this year, as I have got a gig on that weekend again. I know bad planning.

For me it is either Monza or Paul Ricard F1 races. I would like to do a couple of days in the Alps, and like Mikey suggests, a run through Germany on the autobahns and maybe a visit to a factory/museum. I know there is a great museum in Germany where the Brutus car is. I cant remember the name of it off hand or where it is near, but a biker friend was there last year and couldn't rate it high enough.

Unfortunately, to get more than a week away for me is going to prove tricky as well.

Either way, I will be doing a Euro road trip to encompass an F1 race, but would like to join the TT guys, as Le Mans last year was a hoot.
frag68

Postby drangular » Thu Jul 13, 2017 8:01 pm

Thanks for starting the discussion Mike. Lots of great ideas. I'm sure there will be more. As for me, I'm with Craig, wherever the trip goes I'll be there!
I'll come back with some more constructive comments later.! :D
drangular

Postby highlander » Thu Jul 13, 2017 8:47 pm

Still to make my mind up if marci going off road into storage or not...........this is not helping ;)
highlander

Postby Angelus » Wed Oct 18, 2017 9:37 am

French F1 race is an interesting option. :D
Angelus
Site Admin

Postby frag68 » Fri Oct 27, 2017 10:25 pm

Hungary?

A wee hoon through Germany, visit Sinsheim to the motor museum where Brutus is on show and into Stuttgart, Austria, then into Hungary. Then a hoon back through Germany home. Only down side would be the overnight sailing from Newcastle to Amsterdam. I mean what could go wrong there?

Will be doing one for definite but just need to decide on what one.
frag68

Postby Angelus » Mon Oct 30, 2017 11:26 am

frag68 wrote:Hungary?

A wee hoon through Germany, visit Sinsheim to the motor museum where Brutus is on show and into Stuttgart, Austria, then into Hungary. Then a hoon back through Germany home. Only down side would be the overnight sailing from Newcastle to Amsterdam. I mean what could go wrong there?

Will be doing one for definite but just need to decide on what one.

What's the date for Hungary F1 race?
Angelus
Site Admin

Postby frag68 » Mon Oct 30, 2017 11:22 pm

From memory it's the 20 something of July. Appreciate it is family holiday time for most. Like the suggestion of the French GP via the Pyrenees but the Spanish situation just now might change that plan.
frag68

Postby frag68 » Wed Nov 22, 2017 8:25 pm

Just looking through European events for next year, trying to decide what one to go to and why didn't I see the Austrian GP before? Great roads to get there. It is on 1st July, a week after the French GP.

Personally either would suit me.

I see tickets will be made available in the next week or so. Also was talking to a good friend from the village where I live who is also interested in a hoon abroad next year for a GP, so count him in also.

One thing I would like to do however, is visit Sinsheim Museum where Brutus is kept. Seemingly it is a fantastic museum of all things mechanical. If events and routes work out, would this be a possibility?
frag68

Postby m1key » Sun Nov 26, 2017 9:51 pm

So if we’re going to do a trip, how do we agree on a plan? :-)
m1key

Postby Angelus » Mon Nov 27, 2017 11:45 am

m1key wrote:So if we’re going to do a trip, how do we agree on a plan? :-)

If you build it, they will come. Make a plan and those interested can join in. Once we have a base, then we can build round it? :D
Angelus
Site Admin

Postby frag68 » Wed Nov 29, 2017 12:22 am

Why don't a few of us meet for a coffee and put a plan in place for starters and put it out there? Happy to assist in the planning but not too aware of good continental routes though. I do think starting on what event we are going to is a shout though.
frag68

Postby m1key » Fri Dec 01, 2017 12:00 pm

A few of us had a chat about this yesterday at curry night and a trip based around the French F1 (23/24 June) is sounding good. Late enough for the alpine passes to be open b should avoid peak holiday season and summer temps.

Can head down via Germany and the Alps, back via Route Napoleon?

Drangular/Steve B emailed me some suggestions based around this awhile back so sure we can come up with a plan soon.
m1key

Next

Return to Euro Trips