5 -7 days in Europe route planning

Post your Euro road trips in here.

5 -7 days in Europe route planning

Postby Craig » Wed Nov 19, 2014 12:57 am

Right that's me got the go ahead to do a few days across Europe next year, I know a lot of you know the place inside out so need a little help in planning a route, in fact I need a lot of help! Where to go, what to watch out for and places to avoid, I do tend to have a slightly heavy right foot from time to time and want to know the places not to be doing excessive speed as much as I do the areas I can.
I plan to take the Audi, is there roads more suited to it
The only prerequisites I have is the Autobahn, Ring and some alpine passes other than that anywhere will do really.
Timing wise I have a few options bar the school holidays.
I leave it to you all!
Craig

Re: 5 -7 days in Europe route planning

Postby m1key » Wed Nov 19, 2014 1:27 am

Craig wrote:Right that's me got the go ahead to do a few days across Europe next year, I know a lot of you know the place inside out so need a little help in planning a route, in fact I need a lot of help! Where to go, what to watch out for and places to avoid, I do tend to have a slightly heavy right foot from time to time and want to know the places not to be doing excessive speed as much as I do the areas I can.
I plan to take the Audi, is there roads more suited to it
The only prerequisites I have is the Autobahn, Ring and some alpine passes other than that anywhere will do really.
Timing wise I have a few options bar the school holidays.
I leave it to you all!

Hi Craig, 5-7 days to get from Scotland to the Alps and back is pretty tight but do'able.

Sounds like you'd be best of getting the Hull to Rotterdam overnight ferry (we took this in 2012 to Monaco). You're then in Europe in the morning & could then head down through Germany take in some Autobahn and down to the Alps. A lot of the Autobahn are 2 lanes and pretty busy so if you going for any vmax runs then you need to pick your moment and watch of folk pulling out in front of you! Also they switch from being limited to de-restricted quite a lot and sometimes it's not obvious which it is.

If you've got time and want a stop over, the Porsche museum & factory tour in Stuttgart is excellent.

You could then go down to Switzerland and have fun on the passes. There's a great loop a bit south of Lucerne - Furka, Grimsel, Susten and Gotthard passes. All of which are superb with some great scenery.

We stayed here this year and would recommend it:
http://www.tripadvisor.co.uk/Hotel_Revi ... -Horw.html

If you can I'd recommend staying in the alps for a night or two so you've got a day to play there and can do some of the passes early/late when the roads are quieter.

Never had any issues with police in Switzerland on the passes but personally I'd avoid going too mad on the main roads.

The French police are pretty hot on speeding nowadays and some of the on the spot fines are daft. There's some cracking roads down in the south of France, Route Napoleon, Mount, Verdon Gorge, Mount Ventoux etc. but might be a bit out the way given your time scales.

Cheers.
Mike.
m1key

Postby Craig » Wed Nov 19, 2014 1:48 am

Nice one Mikey, the hotel looks cracking.
The trip could stretch a bit if need be.
I think I am heading out on my own so no concerns over driving for an extended period.
Do they still do the Newcastle to Amsterdam ferry?
Passenger seat may be available if someone wants to tag along.
Also thinking I might get the additional silencers removed for a more enhanced tunnel experience!
Craig

Postby KB_S1 » Sun Nov 23, 2014 11:18 pm

Be careful around 'Ring in summer, the A'bahn routes can be atrocious.
I have done a big Euro trip write up from the summer - Oli has it ready to go.....
KB_S1

Postby Craig » Sun Nov 23, 2014 11:59 pm

I reckon leaving it until after summer holiday time would be the best idea, maybe Aug/Sept?
Craig

Postby KB_S1 » Mon Nov 24, 2014 10:29 am

We were there in early July, the problem was constant roadworks, leading to constant accidents.
Not sure on the scheduling but it is apparently regular.

Newcastle - Amsterdam ferry is on and good. We used it for return trip after driving down to Eurotunnel on way out.
That was a good move for us. Through the night down to England, absolutely painless drive.

If hitting the Alps - avoid the Tour de France - it is in July.

Some pics here from our trip - https://www.flickr.com/photos/kb_s1/sets/72157648847183227/
Little video here from Furka - http://youtu.be/z_lCLUZ4nbE?list=UU31gU8EIbRMYMwDWsBNj_Pg
KB_S1

Postby EcurieArgyll » Mon Nov 24, 2014 11:50 pm

Careful in Switzerland with the heavy right foot. Fines are proportional to your wealth, not the crime. Stories of people leaving the Lambo behind etc etc

Also make sure you have the V5/invoice/insurance documentation for the Swiss border guards to show the car is yours. I've only been into Switzerland three times by car and have been challenged for documentation once.
EcurieArgyll
Site Admin

Postby drangular » Thu Nov 27, 2014 5:50 pm

Hi Craig,
Are you wanting to do it on your own or are you open to others joining you (if they can keep up!!)? :D
How about tying it in to coincide with the F1 GP at Spa - 23rd Aug.? Spa isn't far from the Nurburgring.
Steve B
drangular

Postby Craig » Sun Nov 30, 2014 9:45 pm

Thanks for the tips everyone so far, some great pictures too.

Steve, I will be away on the 23rd Aug unfortunately but would have loved to have joined you all.
Have a :lol: at the keep up comment.

So far I am now looking around the first week in June for 7 days heading most likely via Newcastle as it is closest.
Straight to Nurburgring from there and get a couple of laps in on the morning of the 2nd day before heading down to Switzerland in the afternoon.
Grimsel, Furka & Susten passes on the third day and maybe just a general mill about in that area for day 4.

Am I being a bit ambitious so far or does that sound about right?

I wouldn't mind trying to make Lichtenstein and maybe the top of Italy before starting to make my way back to Amsterdam.
Other than the documents and a couple of gallons of fuel is there anything else I should/must keep in the car?
Craig

Postby Craig » Sun Nov 30, 2014 9:47 pm

Also to add if anyone does fancy coming I would be delighted.
Craig

Postby Hoonmeister » Mon Dec 01, 2014 11:20 pm

Craig - the time you pick will drive our recommended routes - which passes are open or shut or busy with campervans.
You can get lucky - or stuck - just like A82 at home!!
Between the guys on here we ahve probably done everywhere west of Romania.

Doing another wee run on either 27/28 December if you want to meet half way and discuss over lunch - like last year
B
Hoonmeister

Postby Craig » Tue Dec 02, 2014 1:17 am

Aye that'll be great for the run, shouldn't have a problem making it down. You thinking of the same place?
Craig

Postby Hoonmeister » Tue Dec 02, 2014 6:07 pm

Probably staying further south other - end of Glencoe but I will send you details when its sorted.
Hoonmeister

Postby Craig » Tue Dec 02, 2014 10:14 pm

Aye just keep us posted, it'll be good to get a run out
Craig

Postby m1key » Tue Dec 02, 2014 11:46 pm

Craig wrote:Other than the documents and a couple of gallons of fuel is there anything else I should/must keep in the car?

Quite a few things you need to take (which varies slightly from country to country), there's a guide on the AA website:
http://www.theaa.com/motoring_advice/ov ... pment.html

e.g.
- Warning triangles
- Spare bulb kit
- Breathalyser kit (France)
- Hi Viz vests (required for each person in the car and must be kept inside the car)
- Copies of V5, insurance, MOT etc.
- Headlamp adjusters (I've taken these with me but never put them on)

Also country specific info here:
http://www.theaa.com/motoring_advice/ov ... untry.html

Cheers,
Mike.
m1key

Next

Return to Euro Trips