5 -7 days in Europe route planning

Post your Euro road trips in here.

Re: 5 -7 days in Europe route planning

Postby Craig » Wed Dec 03, 2014 12:06 am

Thanks Mikey.
Not quite sure how the beam adjusters would work in the Audi as it has the adaptive lights that turn with the angle of the steering wheel
I will need to update my license by then though.
Thinking of taking the extra silencers off, any noise limititations that you know of? Think along the lines "Days of Thunder" and you are getting close ;) The gopro footage in a tunnel will sound special!
Craig
 
Posts: 307
Joined: Mon Feb 03, 2014 5:30 pm
Location: Inverness

Re: 5 -7 days in Europe route planning

Postby m1key » Wed Dec 03, 2014 12:34 am

Personally I wouldn't worry about the beam adjusters unless you're planning on driving at night. I've had them with me in case I got stopped but never bothered fitting them.

Re: the noise, don't know about that but Swizterland aren't that friendly towards anti social cars/driving so might want to check on that. Some of the fines are mental too.

One other thing - at the start of June it might be a bit hit & miss if all the alpine passes are open. When we went in 2012 after Monaco, Grimsel, Furka etc where closed. Others were open though. This year we were there a few weeks later (3rd week in June) and was fine. Might be worth having a plan B prepared just in case.
m1key
 
Posts: 1879
Joined: Sat Nov 02, 2013 1:11 pm

Re: 5 -7 days in Europe route planning

Postby drangular » Wed Dec 03, 2014 8:47 pm

Craig. The Nurburgring can be unpredictable in terms of being open. The website has a calendar but it's a gamble because it can close for crashes, breakdowns,weather etc.
You know I love Euro trips so if you want company I'd be interested.
drangular
 
Posts: 122
Joined: Sun Dec 01, 2013 5:47 pm

Re: 5 -7 days in Europe route planning

Postby Craig » Wed Dec 03, 2014 9:20 pm

You are more than welcome Steve.
Really strange this as I am offshore for a few days and we have a German fellow onboard from the village of Nurburg, although he now lives in Stuttgart he has fond memories of going round the track with his father. I have been picking his brains when he told me this morning where he was from.
Craig
 
Posts: 307
Joined: Mon Feb 03, 2014 5:30 pm
Location: Inverness

Re: 5 -7 days in Europe route planning

Postby Craig » Wed Dec 03, 2014 9:44 pm

A wee update from my new German mate :D
His father Robert Rodenbeck raced Formula 3 up until 1975ish, he made me laugh there when he said "he is still very fast on the Autobahn", can anyone dig anything out from then?
Edited to add - he was also a test driver for Continental tyres, this if true is superb stuff
Craig
 
Posts: 307
Joined: Mon Feb 03, 2014 5:30 pm
Location: Inverness

Re: 5 -7 days in Europe route planning

Postby drangular » Thu Dec 04, 2014 4:41 pm

A snap from my circuit of the 'Ring in 2013.
http://s765.photobucket.com/user/Drangu ... sort=3&o=1
The 'Ring website.
http://www.nuerburgring.de/en/drives-fu ... ar_20=2014
No dates for 201 5 yet.
I do fancy taking the Porsche round the 'Ring given that I've been round in my last two cars. I think the 911 will probably be more suited to it than the S Type R or even the XKR. I may even 'enjoy' it in the 911!
'Green hell' is not wrong!
Steve
drangular
 
Posts: 122
Joined: Sun Dec 01, 2013 5:47 pm

Re: 5 -7 days in Europe route planning

Postby Craig » Thu Dec 04, 2014 5:08 pm

Nice one for the link.

http://www.nuerburgring.de/en/drives-fu ... rides.html
Fancy a hot lap in an Aston whilst there?
Craig
 
Posts: 307
Joined: Mon Feb 03, 2014 5:30 pm
Location: Inverness

Re: 5 -7 days in Europe route planning

Postby kieranv » Tue Jan 20, 2015 8:50 pm

I'm sitting planning a route for our trip in the summer. Here's a rough idea based on what people have said on here and other places.

http://tinyurl.com/ndbwsk7

Anyone got any thoughts on this?
User avatar
kieranv
 
Posts: 141
Joined: Mon Dec 02, 2013 7:58 pm

Re: 5 -7 days in Europe route planning

Postby Robert Burns » Tue Jan 20, 2015 9:30 pm

kieranv wrote:I'm sitting planning a route for our trip in the summer. Here's a rough idea based on what people have said on here and other places.

http://tinyurl.com/ndbwsk7

Anyone got any thoughts on this?



Haven't had a chance to properly look at it, last 4 years i've been doing euro tours.

But.... I wish you the best of luck in Pairs and Milan. Think M25 full of nutters and foreigners.
Robert Burns
 
Posts: 159
Joined: Fri Apr 04, 2014 10:42 pm
Location: Falkirk

Re: 5 -7 days in Europe route planning

Postby Robert Burns » Tue Jan 20, 2015 9:35 pm

m1key wrote:Personally I wouldn't worry about the beam adjusters unless you're planning on driving at night. I've had them with me in case I got stopped but never bothered fitting them.

Re: the noise, don't know about that but Swizterland aren't that friendly towards anti social cars/driving so might want to check on that. Some of the fines are mental too.

One other thing - at the start of June it might be a bit hit & miss if all the alpine passes are open. When we went in 2012 after Monaco, Grimsel, Furka etc where closed. Others were open though. This year we were there a few weeks later (3rd week in June) and was fine. Might be worth having a plan B prepared just in case.



You can be fined in Swizterland for modified cars. The love pulling you up for it.

Also don't speed 3Kph over is 135euros. Speed traps are 2 camo net tripods at the side of the road with 1 more down the road. They are very sneaky and will pull you up around 2 miles up the road. oooh and to get a picture of the car as evidence will cost you 50euros.

42kph got a friend of mine a 1700 euro fine.
Robert Burns
 
Posts: 159
Joined: Fri Apr 04, 2014 10:42 pm
Location: Falkirk

Re: 5 -7 days in Europe route planning

Postby kieranv » Tue Jan 20, 2015 9:43 pm

Robert Burns wrote:
kieranv wrote:I'm sitting planning a route for our trip in the summer. Here's a rough idea based on what people have said on here and other places.

http://tinyurl.com/ndbwsk7

Anyone got any thoughts on this?



Haven't had a chance to properly look at it, last 4 years i've been doing euro tours.

But.... I wish you the best of luck in Pairs and Milan. Think M25 full of nutters and foreigners.


We'll be avoiding the big cities when we're there, this is just a rough route to give us an idea of mileage etc.
User avatar
kieranv
 
Posts: 141
Joined: Mon Dec 02, 2013 7:58 pm

Re: 5 -7 days in Europe route planning

Postby Angelus » Tue Jan 20, 2015 9:54 pm

kieranv wrote:
Robert Burns wrote:
kieranv wrote:I'm sitting planning a route for our trip in the summer. Here's a rough idea based on what people have said on here and other places.

http://tinyurl.com/ndbwsk7

Anyone got any thoughts on this?



Haven't had a chance to properly look at it, last 4 years i've been doing euro tours.

But.... I wish you the best of luck in Pairs and Milan. Think M25 full of nutters and foreigners.


We'll be avoiding the big cities when we're there, this is just a rough route to give us an idea of mileage etc.

Aye, getting out of Turin in rush hour was described as "character building". :D
User avatar
Angelus
Site Admin
 
Posts: 2981
Joined: Wed Oct 30, 2013 2:14 pm
Location: Lanarkshire

Re: 5 -7 days in Europe route planning

Postby m1key » Tue Jan 20, 2015 10:58 pm

Yep I'd definitely avoid big cities if possible,
m1key
 
Posts: 1879
Joined: Sat Nov 02, 2013 1:11 pm

Re: 5 -7 days in Europe route planning

Postby Craig » Wed Jan 21, 2015 1:12 am

Wow that's some serious penalties for a tiny bit over the limit!

Regards the noise I am still undecided, it really is loud without the extra silencers. Fantastic for the tunnels but not the police evidently

Drangular and I so far are heading across via the Newcastle to Amsterdam ferry and thinking on heading straight down to Lucerne. Do whatever passes are open and work back towards the Ring.

Anyone else fancy it?

Steve, I have been pretty busy since I got back to work but I will give you a bell towards the weekend for a blether
Craig
 
Posts: 307
Joined: Mon Feb 03, 2014 5:30 pm
Location: Inverness

Re: 5 -7 days in Europe route planning

Postby KB_S1 » Tue Jan 27, 2015 6:32 pm

"he was also a test driver for Continental tyres, this if true is superb stuff"

If that is correct, his idea of 'fast' on the A'bahn may be something truly frightening!

Exhaust silencers - any chance of a remote system like the Porsche setup?
I know Stainless Creations had an S4 demo car rigged up like that.
KB_S1
 
Posts: 847
Joined: Sun Dec 01, 2013 2:27 pm

PreviousNext

Return to Euro Trips

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest
cron