What to look for boxter?

What to look for boxter?

Postby highlander » Fri Jul 17, 2015 7:25 am

Fiona likes a convertible and is on the hunt for a change. She has narrowed it down to a couple of models and one of them she is thinking of is a boxter, probably around 2005/6. I know nothing about them at all so any advice on what pitfalls to look out for when shopping would be appreciated.
highlander

Re: What to look for boxter?

Postby Angelus » Fri Jul 17, 2015 8:44 am

Copy and pasted from the TIPEC Forum,

BIG issues are condensers & radiators. They crud up with a salt damped mulch & die. Around £600 for the bits plus labour. RMS weep, all seem misty, on a Tip no clutch to change so will have to be Tip box out not cheap, mine will be left.
Suspension is variable, the various bits are now available from TRW on the after market cheaper than OPC but may need changing as the miles go up. Common issues are creaking & groaning.

Full thread is here.

Boxanet, or something like that is a good place too I've been told.

I'd suggest getting it inspected, if it's near me then I'd be happy to give it the once over. I think they're great cars and will probably be looking for one in a few years. :D
Angelus
Site Admin

Postby highlander » Fri Jul 17, 2015 10:21 am

Cheers mate.........at least you didn't put wishbones on the list.......Lol
She needs to get out try one so there are a couple for sale at dealers between here and Aberdeen so since we are off this week might just take her through to test one. She has tried the Alfa, slk and z4. She was also thinking on the z350 but has went off it a bit I think. Much as I'd love her to get the Alfa to keep the house all Italian ;) I think the slk and probably the boxter are front runners at this time since she would lose too much money on the Alfa in 2 or 3 years ownership.
highlander

Postby Angelus » Fri Jul 17, 2015 10:59 am

Consumables, such as brakes, plugs and filter, aren't that dear on the Boxster and even OPC will do work on it for £50 per hour. I think a minor service is £150 and major is £350? Not a break the bank car, unless the IMS gives up and it shreds the engine. That's a £6k job at Hartec and you've got a very well sorted car after that.
Angelus
Site Admin

Postby Angelus » Sat Jul 18, 2015 6:28 pm

For prosperity, after looking at a car on line, I'll copy what I put in PM to Greg here for others to refer, should they need to. :D
So, there are three things you need to be sure of, condition, history and condition ( I know I said condition twice, but it's important ). If everything is good, and it has relevant history ( at that mileage if it hasn't had a clutch it'll need one very, very soon ) with brakes, radiators/AC condensers, oil, spark plugs, brake fluid flush needs done every 2 years, then it looks like a good buy. Stone chips on the front, they all have that. There are only 6 screws holding the front bumper on so it's not a big deal. Tyres must be "N" rated. forget all the " you're not insured if it doesn't have Porsche "N" rated tyres" stuff you read on forums. The truth is if the previous owner didn't put them on as they're £20 a tyre dearer, then what else did he scrimp on? Check out the price of pads, disks and other consumables at http://www.design911.co.uk/ that way you know what you're getting yourself into.

Hoonmeister gave me similar advice when buying my 996 and it's stood me in good stead so far. :D
Angelus
Site Admin

Postby Phunk » Mon Jul 20, 2015 1:44 pm

I have one and if you look hard enough, parts aren't expensive.

I've just done both condensers, dryer, front coffin arms and drop links all round for under £250.

Look for one that has had the IMS and RMS done.

I wouldn't worry too much about N rated tyres, some owners just don't know about them.

I had N rated tyres on my 911, but I'm running some good Non N rated tyres on my Boxster with no issues.
Phunk

Postby highlander » Mon Jul 20, 2015 11:37 pm

Was down at Glasgow for a night out and took chance to test this..........if anyone thinking on it, avoid!..there was not a panel that did not have a scratch deep enough requiring a re spray, split rear wheel guard, interior driver panelling scratched as if sandpaper was worn as gloves, windows would not go full up when roof was closed.........if we had travelled down 300 miles return just to look at this rubbish I would have been livid so this salesman was lucky we had a night out to go to! Stunning my ar5e.....Lol
http://www.millmotor...201506264671674
highlander

Postby highlander » Tue Jul 21, 2015 7:09 pm

After the weekend escapade I've managed to up Fiona's budget to 12.5k so if anyone aware of a sorted fairly low miler early 987 in that price range.....let me know :D
highlander

Postby highlander » Wed Jul 22, 2015 4:52 pm

My thanks to Lee and Ross for checking out a central belt 987 for me. Have put a holding deposit down and will travel down to test drive on Saturday........fingers crossed!
highlander

Postby OlberJ » Wed Jul 22, 2015 5:07 pm

Nice one :)

TartanTarmac inspection services at it's finest.

Hope to see it at the brekkie meet.
OlberJ
Site Admin

Postby highlander » Wed Jul 22, 2015 10:15 pm

Would be nice but doubt we will be arriving for brekkie with 2 cars.........you never know though;)
highlander

Postby highlander » Sat Aug 01, 2015 9:01 am

Feel such a plonker but have just noticed that the car has locking wheel nuts but no socket to remove them! Garage is fine and said they will reimburse but that we need to take it to a Porsche garage to check which one is needed. That is a 300 round trip for us so would prefer to find another solution if possible. Someone on boxanet suggested item on the link - anyone had any experience of these working or any other suggestions? Plan to get rid of them and replace with plain bolts, have never used them on the maser and do not see the need for them up here tbh.
https://www.machinemart.co.uk/shop/prod ... oC5njw_wcB
highlander

Postby OlberJ » Sat Aug 01, 2015 9:08 am

Yep, they can work well but depends on the type of locking wheelnut on there. Can you get a pic of them?

If they are the mcGuard style with a spinning outer then you need to mangle them before the above will work.

Hate locking nuts too!
OlberJ
Site Admin

Postby highlander » Sat Aug 01, 2015 12:24 pm

Good news! Dropped in on our mechanic who owns 3 Porsches and he has the correct key! So problem solved. Think I'll order a full set of new bolts since the others are a bit on the tatty side. Thanks for all the help.
highlander

Postby highlander » Sun Aug 02, 2015 1:37 pm

pics of Fiona with Baz the boxster...........thanks for all help!
https://hipflask.smugmug.com/Cars/Baz-the-boxster
highlander

Next

Return to Porsche Owners Scotland