My £3k Porsche Boxster

My £3k Porsche Boxster

Postby Phunk » Fri Jan 29, 2016 9:18 am

So sadly last year, I was pretty much forced to sell my 2CV, the Mrs refused to go anywhere in it and not having a garage wasn't the best for it either!

So with £3k in my back pocket from selling the car, I needed another weekend fun car. I had a Porsche 996.1 previously, but I always had the feeling that at any minute it was going to blow up and rape my wallet. So I went looking at Boxsters - preferably the supposed more reliable early 2.5.

I scoured auto trader etc, looking for a good example but most were garbage. Then after a few beers one night, I bought this on eBay from London:

98 2.5, mint bodywork, same owner last 6 years, but needed a wheel refurb and some mechanicals sorted out. Flew down and hopped on about 4 trains to get to where the guy lived. Car checks out, find out he missed out a few issues from his eBay add and managed to batter him down to £3k!

Drive home was fine, however the car did seem a bit hesitant on acceleration. Subsequent testing showed up a new MAF was required - problem solved.

Looking at the MOT sheet and from driving I could tell the suspension needed a bit of work. Managed to get a full set of drop links and lower control arms for £250 which I fitted with a mechanically minded friend. Then I had Kenny Brown set the alignment up.

Spent £60 on two new Air Con radiators as they were goosed, only took an hour to replace.

Fast forward to a couple of months ago and I decide to bite the bullet and have the wheels refurbished and a new set of front discs and pads. Cost less than £500 all in.

So, for less than £4k, I now have a 99% perfect Boxster and I honestly can't think on this side of £10k what I'd rather have. It's well balanced, sounds very nice thanks to the free desnorkle mod and feels special enough for a weekend car. My mechanically minded friend above was so impressed with it that he bought one himself.

I'll get some more photos up, despite the fact that I take photos/videos of cars as a day job and I have access to a photo studio, I've never actually taken any proper photos of the car!

Phunk

Re: My £3k Porsche Boxster

Postby KB_S1 » Fri Jan 29, 2016 9:20 am

Good job.
How does performance feel?
KB_S1

Postby Phunk » Fri Jan 29, 2016 10:08 am

KB_S1 wrote:Good job.
How does performance feel?

With 200hp it's not going to set the world on fire. But it's a nice balance with the chassis, you can have fun with the car and not break any speed limits. With my 911 I always felt you had to be driving pretty fast to enjoy it.
Phunk

Postby OlberJ » Fri Jan 29, 2016 10:31 am

Excellent. Early 2.5s seem to be a good place to be. Glad they're still accessible too.

How does it compare in handling to the 911. Much livelier?
OlberJ
Site Admin

Postby Angelus » Fri Jan 29, 2016 11:18 am

I'm jealous. That is beautiful and I wish I had one......... Hope to see it soon, looks like you've got a bargain. :D
Angelus
Site Admin

Postby Ecosse » Tue Feb 02, 2016 10:32 am

Like it, always have liked the Boxters.

Before we got the TT, tried to talk the wife into a Boxter, but she just wasn't having it!
Ecosse

Postby m1key » Wed Feb 17, 2016 8:43 pm

Very nice, a great car for under 4K!
m1key

Return to On the Road