Punto MK2 HGT

Punto MK2 HGT

Postby C4Jipu » Fri Aug 25, 2017 5:35 pm

So whilst my E46 was off the road to get various bits sorted i decided to buy this as my cheap runabout till the E46 was back on the road. It is a 2001 Punto Mk2 HGT 1.8L 16V with about 82k miles on the clock and feels like it has been hammered for most of its life.

It cost me £400 with 12 months MOT, to be expected it is was in a sorry state both inside/out but the engine and gearbox pulled fine which is what i cared about as was only meant as a stop-gap car.

After a couple of months i finally got my daily back on the road so i had to make a choice to either sell it or keep it. Thankfully i had just got a promotion so decided to keep it as a track car project but decided that it still had to be road legal so could use it to get to work if needed.

First things to get fixed was its coolant temp sensor as it was all over the place and to replace the EPS motor as being a FIAT it would randomly decide if it wanted to let you have power steering or not. Both were sourced for only £40 in total and only took about 30 mins to replace. Next on the list was to strip out any unnecessary weight which revealed more things wrong with the car.

Found the previous owner had hacked the wiring loom in the back, left broken glass under the back seats and left several holes open in the floor which was letting in water causing rust on the inside. I made the wiring safe but have to wait for the next day that its dry so can finish the wiring off and tidy up the rest of the interior, in total i reckon i removed about 40-50 kg worth of weight which should make it a bit faster off the line. Thanks for reading.
C4Jipu

Re: Punto MK2 HGT

Postby Angelus » Sat Aug 26, 2017 10:48 am

Sounds like fun, keep us posted. Would love to see it on track. :D
Angelus
Site Admin

Re: Punto MK2 HGT

Postby C4Jipu » Sat Aug 26, 2017 3:55 pm

Good car to start track days with and cheap to fix which is handy aswell
C4Jipu

Return to On the Road