Bonito Super 8

Bonito Super 8

Postby OlberJ » Wed Aug 26, 2015 11:27 pm

A few of you will no doubt have seen this in my monthly fleet update.

I'll keep the thread going in here too though with some thoughts and ideas.

Got the car over to my storage place and got a good look around it. Have been thinking about engines etc and what to pick to give it a suitable soundtrack and performance figures to match. Here's the chassis itself :

So it's Ford Cortina running gear and the engine bay is set up for a Rover V8. I was thinking of using the Lexus LS400 V8 and a BMW Getrag box. Looking at it today though, well it looks like it should be mid engined, no?

I'm also acutely aware that there is absolutely no roll over protection shoul;d the worst happen. It really needs a cage.

So if going down that route, why not incorporate a rear engine cradle and use the Audi box i have lying around mated to a 4.2V8?

It's obviously more work but it's worth doing right i think. Anyone any good with cad?

Here's how Ultima do it :

Some new tubing for cage and cradle isn't too daunting but i'm not 100% on the rear suspension. It's basic Ford Cortina stuff with coilovers added at the moment so anything will be an upgrade. Diff etc would obviously be swapped out completely for Audi hubs, shafts and whatnot.

Go all out and do it properly or fire in a V8 to the front and take it drag racing? Thoughts please.
OlberJ
Site Admin

Re: Seraph Bonito

Postby Angelus » Thu Aug 27, 2015 11:16 am

Mmmm, ambitious if you want to alter the original layout. Sounds like we'll end up with another SimPug. Why don't you complete it the way it was intended, maybe with the roll cage, then look for an Ultima to use your other box on?
Angelus
Site Admin

Postby OlberJ » Thu Aug 27, 2015 3:48 pm

Ha. This was 600 quid.

Ultima is a touch more expensive.
OlberJ
Site Admin

Postby poprock » Thu Aug 27, 2015 4:02 pm

Getting that to handle nicely could be a never-ending money pit. I say take it drag racing.
poprock

Postby KB_S1 » Mon Sep 14, 2015 8:28 pm

With the chassis frame as is; would it not be front or rear engined?
Surely the engine can't be mounted in the middle with the frame that is in place?
KB_S1

Postby OlberJ » Wed Jan 20, 2016 4:48 pm

Bout time i updated this then. Have removed the engine and box from the A8, stripped and scrapped the shell and then proceeded to do similar with an A4 2.5 tdi for the manual gearbox.

Bit of swearing and a lot of spit later :

That there is what we will use to build the back end of the Bonito around.

After some research the approach i will use is to jig up the existing hub faces and centres to allow us to retain the layout of the original chassis. Working back from there, new hubs onto the jig, double wishbones from there back to the engine cradle/rear frame. Job's a good un.

I plan to make the whole rear section removable from the firewall back and that will drop out from the shell for maintenance. If it's easier then also employing a flip up rear half shell will mean it could be removed without the need for a ramp.

Next step is to choose the hubs and outer driveshafts/cvs. Aware that there is going to be about 300bhp running through them they will need to be up to the job. Mx5 hubs seem to be well used to build kit cars these days and they are cheap and plentiful. also run double wishbones as standard. Have a habit of seizing into the hubs though and not convinced they will last.
Other option is Mr2 hubs. I have a set of these in the store and quite probably a set of driveshafts to go with them. These could be adapted to suit and also incorporate fixed "steering" rods to accommodate some toe in/toe out on the rear.

They also use brakes which are known to be up to the job.

Considering all that, and the front end being cortina, would MacP struts at the rear be such a bad idea? Thought needed.
OlberJ
Site Admin

Postby Angelus » Thu Jan 21, 2016 9:34 am

Can you not turn the Chassis round to mount it mid engined? If you're taking all the gear back off it, then the only question is, does the body fit on if it's round the other way?
Angelus
Site Admin

Postby OlberJ » Thu Jan 21, 2016 10:13 am

Keeping the front suspension as is for now. The engine bay isn't wide enough for the audi v8 so would require reworking anyway.

Jigging and rebuilding the back end is actually the easiest option i think.
OlberJ
Site Admin

Postby KB_S1 » Sat Jan 23, 2016 7:10 pm

What about MG-F or Boxster front setups?
KB_S1

Postby KB_S1 » Sat Jan 23, 2016 9:00 pm

Or MR2 now I think about it.
KB_S1

Postby OlberJ » Mon Jan 25, 2016 10:39 am

Mr2 etc are McPherson struts so a step backwards so to speak.

It might be much of a muchness in the end but might as well try get it right from the get go. There could be a few evolutions of this car.
OlberJ
Site Admin

Postby OlberJ » Sun May 22, 2016 2:01 pm

About time I updated the thread. Went through a whole wad of ideas and then my mate wanted to move on his Mk2 mr2 so I sent up the old man to drive it back from Drumnadrochit. Didn't miss a beat. £200 well spent.

Anyways once back in the unit I parked it up next to the Bonito and was shocked on the sizes. The wheelbase isn't just close, it's exactly the same.

The idea was to use the Mr2 as a mule for the v8 and then swap all the parts into the Bonito chassis. Building suspension pick up points is not so easy, not to mention windscreens, wipers, demisting, etc etc so why not rebody the Mr2?

I don't plan on bonding anything that might rust underneath. Flip up front and engine cover section. Reuse as much of the Mr2 as possible. Extensive roll cage. Lots of off the shelf parts available too, upgrades etc. Makes sense that way.

So take one mr2 t bar and get the grinder out.

I'll move the firewall forward and build a cradle for the engine and box so that whole unit goes in and out from underneath with the rear suspension attached.

That's where we're up to so far.
OlberJ
Site Admin

Postby OlberJ » Mon May 30, 2016 7:50 pm

Another fairly major bit of progress today. It fits! Well, we made it fit.

ImageImageImageImageImage

Can actually roll it about with the engine in now. Much fun.
OlberJ
Site Admin

Re: Bonito Super 8

Postby OlberJ » Mon May 30, 2016 8:07 pm

The doors also open and shut as they did before so the roll cage will be adding rather than replacing strength/stiffness.
OlberJ
Site Admin

Re: Bonito Super 8

Postby Andrew[MG] » Tue May 31, 2016 9:22 am

I just can't imagine how that turns into a fully legal car that you can drive on the road :o

Who did you rope in to help you?
Andrew[MG]
Site Admin

Next

Return to Projects