205 GTI Rally Car

205 GTI Rally Car

Postby GWS33 » Fri Oct 16, 2015 12:20 pm

Hi everyone

Wanted to start keeping a track of the work done to my dad and I's 205 rally car. So thought I might aswell share with you all :).
BEWARE! It is very Blue and Orange! :D

Bought it from a guy in Wales that had spent lots of time and money building up from the ground up for road rallies and a gumball style event that was cancelled. So he decided to sell everything including the 3 pallets of spares he had.

How we got it:

First job was to find out what we had and what we needed to do to get the car re-log booked.

Then we stripped the interior out to remove carpets, radio, CB radio, and all the sound deadening and expanding foam ( :? ) that the previous owner had spent ages putting in. Took off the spot lamps, splitter and wheel spacers.

Then we took it to a friends garage to get some welding done and the sump guards modified to fit for easy removal and fitting. Also decided to underseal the car while it was up on ramps.

Next we painted the floor inside and started putting it back together with some changes to the spare wheel mounting, battery box insulation and various other bits to bring it up to Rally standards.

Mudflaps were probably the most hassle to fit. Trying to make sure they were the correct distance out from tread and from ground.

Interior is starting to go in. And this is it so far!

Still to get done is relocation of the fuel pump, fit new spacers, fit drivers seat and harnesses, give it a wash then sticker it up and a few wee other things.

Hopefully getting it log booked on Sunday and should be pretty much ready to go have some fun!

I'll update this with all the spec and the loads of information and interesting bits I've missed out as I remember them!
GWS33

Re: 205 GTI Rally Car

Postby Andrew[MG] » Fri Oct 16, 2015 4:50 pm

Very nice! Olie is going to have a bit of a crisis looking at this one.
Andrew[MG]
Site Admin

Postby KB_S1 » Sat Oct 17, 2015 2:28 pm

I like that a lot.
Is the plan to develop it as a road car?
KB_S1

Postby GWS33 » Sat Oct 17, 2015 5:51 pm

Thanks guys!

Plan is to use it on the scottish tarmac rally championship. My dad has been rallying since he was 12 and was last out in the scottish rally championship co driving in a WRC Subaru. And I've been racing karts and formula ford since I was 12. Decided that we want to do something together! So this is our project!

Hopefully bring it along to one of the breakfast meets instead of being in the boring ST ;)

Little update:
Finally finished putting it back together. Just wee things like sun strip, stickers and spacers, intercom and seal up some of the holes!

And a comparison picture from its original log book photo!
GWS33

Postby OlberJ » Sat Oct 17, 2015 7:41 pm

That is trully excellent.

What's the engine spec?
OlberJ
Site Admin

Postby GWS33 » Sun Oct 18, 2015 10:17 pm

Thanks OlberJ

The engine spec is:
PEC Racing rods
Wossner high comp pistons kit
CAT cams 4900366/ big cam
Stainless valves
PAC springs/retainers
Big end bearing kit
Billet flywheel
Re-bored
Cam adjuster
Carbs and inlet / carbs jetted by Mike Evans Motorsport
Alloy radiator and alloy oil cooler
Stainless custom 4-1 exhaust
Low pressure fuel pump

Gearbox:
Quaife diff
Helix 3 paddle clutch

Dyno printouts show car running 170hp @ 6500rpm. So a bit of a screamer.

Update for today! The car is now log booked and had it scrutineered at Kames. Only some yellow tape needed for the earth strap and we're good to go!
GWS33

Postby OlberJ » Mon Oct 19, 2015 9:34 am

That's gonna sound better than my GTi6 engine :mrgreen:

Interesting to see how they compare though.

Put group n engine mounts on mine and absolutely love it. There's no tranny shunt whatsoever.

Would like to follow your season in the SRC! Which events you hoping to do?
OlberJ
Site Admin

Postby Angelus » Mon Oct 19, 2015 9:53 am

Great read, thank you. :D
Angelus
Site Admin

Postby Ecosse » Mon Oct 19, 2015 1:41 pm

Love that.

Was gonna ask what you were going to use it for.

Marshalled a few times at STRC events a few years ago, great fun to watch.
Ecosse

Postby GWS33 » Mon Oct 19, 2015 5:32 pm

Thanks everyone.

Hopefully get some better photos and action shots/videos soon.

The build happened faster than we thought so not really planned for next year yet. Hopefully get to most of the STRC events and maybe a couple other wee plays in it but will keep everyone updated as we start to plan. Will no doubt be spannering for my other half who's competing in the SRC so may miss a few rounds.

It's got solid mounts across the front end so seems pretty good. The rear still has the standard bushes so going to be swapping them out for some solid ones. Also plan on rose jointing the front as it's meant to be better than the standard setup.
GWS33

Postby GWS33 » Sun Feb 21, 2016 5:46 pm

Realised I hadn't updated this in a while.

Electric power steering has been fitted and it works!!

Bit of fabrication needed for some brackets and to join the Universal joint to the new corsa steering column. Saves us changing the steering rack over.

Here's a few photos of it.

Mocking up where the new column will sit.

Building up a good selection of wheels.

The final product. The wee knob below the speedo is to adjust the level of assistance the motor provides.
Some wiring still to be tidied up.

Happy to write up/ upload some photos showing how we got it to fit and wired up, if anyone is interested in doing something similar.
GWS33

Postby GWS33 » Sun Jul 31, 2016 4:51 pm

Realised I had not updated this in a while!

Have done a couple of events so far. First event was Ingilston STRC round with my dad manning the wheel, but electrical gremlins followed by a broken driveshaft meant this was a short day...

After that we did the Kames rally where my dad was driving (as I felt bad he had only got a mile at Ingilston). Managed a respectable 7th O/A and a class win ( never mind that there was only 2 in the class... :lol: )

Last event we did where I finally got a go after wrestling the wheel from my dad was at the Mach 1 stages where we were doing well only loosing 2-3 minutes due to the car dying on the last stage after oil got into the dizzy. Realised we had a slightly worrying oil leak so the head has been rebuild and new piston rings. Managed to get 53rd overall so quite happy with my first rally!

Below is a few photos from Mach 1

3 205s! Good shot after passing the 2 cars ahead of us.

GWS33

Postby Angelus » Sun Jul 31, 2016 5:47 pm

Great photos. :D
Angelus
Site Admin

Return to Projects