Alfa GTV V6 Engine and Head Removal

Alfa GTV V6 Engine and Head Removal

Postby allandwf » Thu May 12, 2016 7:54 am

An update on the car. I removed the engine to replace the head gaskets, and hopefully repair the water in the oil issue.
Opinion was divided as to whether the heads could be removed insitu, so I decided to try. To remove the rear one requires the engine tilted so far forward, that you need to disconnect everything you would to fully remove the engine anyway, so it was coming out.
Next issue was if to remove subframe, again divided opinions, I decided to leave it on as I wanted to move the car once the engine was out. Well, it can be done with it on, but is very very tight, with a bit of prying and jiggling it did clear the frame and was then dropped down, the car raised and the engine pulled out the front. (Radiator packs had previously been removed.)
Heads were then removed, nothing too obvious re the oil issue, but the rear head did seem slightly worse, and has suffered from oil sludge, which I'd never really encountered before, but had to did out to get at a couple of head nuts.
Next step is to figure out the best way to clean everything up, and take it from there.
A few pics attached for anyone contemplating something similar..........

allandwf

Re: Alfa GTV V6 Engine and Head Removal

Postby highlander » Thu May 12, 2016 8:08 am

For the mechanically incompetent like myself the thought of tackling something like this brings on a cold sweat! Kudos to you Allan for taking on restoring the old girl and I look forward to seeing her in the flesh at some point.
highlander

Postby allandwf » Tue May 17, 2016 7:58 pm

Well once I let the heads dry a bit it was fairly obvious where the problem lay! This is the rear head gasket.

allandwf

Postby OlberJ » Thu May 19, 2016 7:27 pm

*draws air through teeth*

Aye, that's fucked mate.

Always good to find the obvious problem though. Nowt worse than issues and having to send the head off to be x rayed etc.
OlberJ
Site Admin

Postby Angelus » Fri May 20, 2016 8:38 am

Well done on finding the cause, so new gaskets will see her live again. 8-)
Angelus
Site Admin

Postby allandwf » Fri May 20, 2016 12:35 pm

Angelus wrote:Well done on finding the cause, so new gaskets will see her live again. 8-)

I hope so. Got to clean everything up, might as well paint the covers etc when apart, spruce up the engine bay now it's empty, and get the heads checked for flat/straightness. Then start reassembling. Plenty to keep me out of trouble :)
allandwf

Return to Projects