4 post ramp installation

4 post ramp installation

Postby EcurieArgyll » Wed Apr 02, 2014 11:18 pm

OK...today my ramp finally lifted a car and I'm pleased to say that the lights didn't go out across the glen when I hit the "Up" button, so as promised, here is a brief account.

I took a car down to Bromsgrove on a trailer to get a cam-belt service and took advantage of the return trip to pick up the ramp from Automotech in Rugely near Cannock.

The guys at Automotech loaded it with their forklift and I strapped it down and went on my way. Of course I didn't really think a lot about how to unload it........it took me and the long suffering wife a whole day to transfer the pieces into the garage ! As seen below...

EcurieArgyll
Site Admin

Re: 4 post ramp installation

Postby EcurieArgyll » Wed Apr 02, 2014 11:21 pm

The next step was to carefully position the main pieces, getting the platforms and cross members square and level, and the uprights plumb.

EcurieArgyll
Site Admin

Postby EcurieArgyll » Wed Apr 02, 2014 11:24 pm

The kit seems well made but the instructions leave some room for improvement. There were a few "cart before the horse" moments such as having to run cables with 8 inch bolt ends around the corner of a pulley within the cross member while said cross member was on the ground attached to half a tonne of platform. Hence the trolley jack and railway sleeper in the picture below!

EcurieArgyll
Site Admin

Postby EcurieArgyll » Wed Apr 02, 2014 11:27 pm

The cross members are inserted into the uprights fitting tightly against the nylon sliders. The ladder for the safety ratchet is then bolted in. At this point I couldn't get the uprights to remain plumb. See next...

EcurieArgyll
Site Admin

Postby EcurieArgyll » Wed Apr 02, 2014 11:29 pm

This picture shows that you have the platform bolted to the cross member and the cross member running in the uprights. (You can also see the cables with the long bolt ends)

EcurieArgyll
Site Admin

Postby EcurieArgyll » Wed Apr 02, 2014 11:34 pm

After a lot of head scratching I finally realised that the nylon sliders were such a snug fit in the uprights (rightly so) that the vertical angle of the upright was determined by the vertical angle of the vertical face of the cross member where it bolts to the face of the platforms.The platforms were perfectly level and square, so I couldn't see it at first,but I finally twigged that the vertical faces of the platforms weren't quite plumb and I had to shim them a little to get the cross member perfectly vertically true.

EcurieArgyll
Site Admin

Postby EcurieArgyll » Wed Apr 02, 2014 11:37 pm

More or less plane sailing from here. One more instruction snafu where it fails to tell you that you need 1.5m of clearance behind the ramp in order to run the safety link through the cross member and platform at the rear. I had to grind off the handle and make a replacement once it was attached

Here are the control boxes and hydraulics on the main post

EcurieArgyll
Site Admin

Postby Andrew[MG] » Wed Apr 02, 2014 11:38 pm

I'm enjoying this. More, more please!
Andrew[MG]
Site Admin

Postby EcurieArgyll » Wed Apr 02, 2014 11:40 pm

Tip: standing on a stool, trying to pour 10 litres of hydraulic fluid from a 20 litre drum into a small opening 4 feet up a post is very tiring indeed when you are not so young as you used to be.
Fill the tank when it is on the ground and then attach it. Easy for me to say in hindsight.
EcurieArgyll
Site Admin

Postby EcurieArgyll » Wed Apr 02, 2014 11:44 pm

Finally,with hydraulics filled and electrics connected, the ramp raised. Fine tune levelling was done by tightening the cable bolts at the top of the posts.

I then used the ramp itself as a platform to work from in order to re-make the roof trusses with shorter higher ties to give the clearance I would need.

Being paranoid, I left the ramp up overnight and checked it hadn't settled any distance by morning.

Being still paranoid, I then invited two heavy friends to stand on it while I tested it before taking a car anywhere near :)

EcurieArgyll
Site Admin

Postby EcurieArgyll » Wed Apr 02, 2014 11:47 pm

...and then the moment of truth today. My 348 spider is my widest car and it drove on without issue. I hit the "Up" button and up she went.

I didn't have the courage to go any further than the first safety ratchet for my first go. I'll tell you if she's still there in the morning :roll:

EcurieArgyll
Site Admin

Postby Angelus » Thu Apr 03, 2014 7:00 am

Result, looking good. And the car looks great too. :D
Angelus
Site Admin

Postby OlberJ » Thu Apr 03, 2014 7:41 am

Top work that man.

It single or 3 phase?

Loving the 348 too btw.
OlberJ
Site Admin

Postby EcurieArgyll » Thu Apr 03, 2014 10:02 am

Cheers guys.

It is single phase.I just put in a separate consumer unit with a motor rated 16 amp breaker.

Glad you like the 348. I think its great. I was a teenager when the Testarossa came out and have always been a sucker for those strakes. It's not everyone's cup of tea, but being a late 348 it is effectively a 355 with unassisted steering and the older dogleg gearbox, both of which I like.

This car came to my attention having been completely rebuilt by a fellow anorak to better-than-new condition, and I was looking for one of those or a 308. I snapped it up and have since been to Italy and back and around Ireland in it. It's got all the right Hill Engineering sensible upgrades/corrections and handles like a go-kart.

Just got it back after cam-belt service, re-painted cam-covers and new windscreen. First job while on the ramp is to touch in the million or so stone chips that the aforementioned trips resulted in, without having to lie on the floor.
EcurieArgyll
Site Admin

Postby allandwf » Thu Apr 03, 2014 8:30 pm

Excellent write up. Love the 348. Next car for me if all goes well. :D
allandwf

Next

Return to Projects