Nissan Almera GTi winter resto

Nissan Almera GTi winter resto

Postby kieranv » Sun Nov 16, 2014 8:58 pm

Figured I might aswel start a thread for this to keep everything in one place for it.

I've owned this car for 2 years now, it's my 4th Almera and 2nd GTi. Love these things, mostly due to their inconspicuous image but also because they're very under rated cars and I've yet to drive anything I enjoy as much as this (including my old mk1 MX5).

So, the winter restoration (and modification), what will it consist of? Well here's a rough list to get started :

Engine bay tidy up - General clean under the bonnet, paint rocker cover and various brackets.
Full service - usual filters, plugs and oil plus timing chain tensioner, distributor cap and rotor arm.
Brake overhaul - Calipers rebuilt by Biggred and refitted with Drilled/Grooved discs and mintex pads, along with goodridge braided hoses and new copper piped throughout.
Attack rear arch rust - Still deciding on whether or not I'll attempt this myself or just get a bodyshop to do it.
Fit Recaro's - Got some Recaro speeds from an Evo 4 which will need custom rails making to fit.
Replace steering wheel - Ebay spec suede job.
New speakers throughout - Vibe slick speakers with JVC headunit and hard drive
Wheel refurb - Still deciding on a colour but I think black works well with the green.

And now for some pictures.

Will update as jobs get done.
kieranv

Re: Nissan Almera GTi winter resto

Postby Angelus » Mon Nov 17, 2014 10:15 am

Good work, I like the car but it took me a few weeks to get used to the colour. Funny now, as I can't see it suiting any other colour? Need to come and see it sometime. As for the paint, I think you should try it yourself then if you're not happy get it done locally. I know a couple of places that'll do right.
Angelus
Site Admin

Postby mpjg » Mon Nov 17, 2014 10:10 pm

coming along nicely there, its always good to have a wee winter project
mpjg

Postby kieranv » Thu Dec 04, 2014 9:51 pm

Fitted a new and upgraded timing chain tensioner the other day. Should hopefully sort the annoying rattle from the chain.

It's in a bit of a nightmare of a location, Beside the oil filter, under the intake manifold, but I got there in the end.

Made sure to cable tie the cam gears in an attempt to not throw the timing off.

Old next to new tensioner

Rocker cover refitted

Todays delivery conists of a new sump from Poland and a magnetic sump plug. Although this car isn't overly special or rare, getting the correct parts is a nightmare, hence the delivery from Poland. Wi\ll get this fitted when I get a chance next week.

The next issue I'm having is that the car isn't wanting to start at all now, not even trying to crank. Suspected immobiliser issue, joy.
kieranv

Postby Angelus » Fri Dec 05, 2014 12:30 pm

If it's the battery then let me know. I know a place, not the cheapest but high quality with a great warranty. :D
Angelus
Site Admin

Postby Andrew[MG] » Fri Dec 05, 2014 2:10 pm

Angelus wrote:If it's the battery then let me know. I know a place, not the cheapest but high quality with a great warranty. :D

Are the staff ok at the place you user or are they a bit dodgy? :P
Andrew[MG]
Site Admin

Postby kieranv » Mon Jan 05, 2015 12:17 am

The car has been relegated to outside, due to the mx5 being leaky and the Almera has been naughty (refusing to start)

kieranv

Postby kieranv » Tue Mar 14, 2017 11:17 pm

So, apparently this winter restoration has lasted almost 3 years.

But today, for the first time since the last post, it is a complete car, it starts, stops and runs like a good un.

Still needs some bits and bobs though, like paint.
kieranv

Postby Andrew[MG] » Wed Mar 15, 2017 10:11 am

Good work! It looks like it has a very friendly face in that light. Have you changed the headlights?
Andrew[MG]
Site Admin

Postby Angelus » Wed Mar 15, 2017 12:22 pm

Good memories of a few Sunday runs with that car. 8-)
Angelus
Site Admin

Postby kieranv » Wed Mar 15, 2017 4:39 pm

Andrew[MG] wrote:Good work! It looks like it has a very friendly face in that light. Have you changed the headlights?

Cheers!
Those are the standard GTi headlights with clear glass and black surround, they look pretty good I reckon.

Angelus wrote:Good memories of a few Sunday runs with that car. 8-)

MOT tomorrow so hopefully it'll be out again this Sunday! Break it in gently haha.
kieranv

Return to Projects