Discovery 3

Re: Discovery 3

Postby A.J.M » Mon May 04, 2015 4:00 pm

Mot was passed with 0 advisories. :mrgreen:
Had to fit new front pads, and pins as the old ones were getting low. I have new rear pads to fit as well as they also are getting low.

The hub bushes haven't yet been changed. Tool was the wrong one and we ran out of time. Will get that addressed soon though.
One wheel alignment showed they were all way out of spec, so everything has been adjusted and it now drives far better. :mrgreen:

Mileage currently stands at 136,246 and for it being good, it may get a gift this month from the list of things on the wish list.

The car is a keeper. It makes no sense to get rid as i have lots still to do to make the car mine and to make it the Disco i've always wanted.
Also, because, financially, as one the Disco3.co.uk forum, an identical HSE, with similar but not as thorough over haul with 146k, was valued at £5200 trade in. At that price, you would make more cash from breaking it for parts and weighing in the remains than to sell. Private sell would be about £7.5-8.5k which is also close to the point of being worth more in parts than a complete car.

So, it will stay and i will be it's last owner, i will run it till it's either written off, or dies on me.

However, in just over 4 years, it will be legally eligible to be imported and to stay in Canada...
A.J.M

Postby A.J.M » Tue May 19, 2015 9:29 pm

Another small update, plus a comfy one too. :mrgreen:

My Mantec guard and Warn winch mount has arrived.

This was cleaned, prepped and painted gloss black to go with the colour scheme going on. This was then subjected to the gaze of quality control.. :lol:

When fitting was attempted, it threw up an issue. It didn't fit.
This metal support was fouling the bumper.

So, we took the Colin Chapman approach of simplify and add lightness.
:lol: :lol:

Sorted, all ready for more off road fun.

Now, the comfy change.
The seats for the HSE, come from Volvo's car's. Think it's an S80 or such. They are really comfy and supportive.
Mine. Weren't. The foam had lost all it's support and was very flat. It also had a small tear in the side.

So. One replacement HSE seat foam was ordered from land rover, £30 for it. I asked about the cost for a replacement seat cover. £365+vat was the answer. Or £330+vat for both. That was politely declined.

Step forward a trimmer who for the price of £80, swapped the foam base, the heated seat elements and repaired the seat.

Now, the seat is finally comfy, it has the proper support it's lacked. There is no more gap between the back and the base where the seat has collapsed.

Also have this waiting to be collected, the steel rope replaced with a plasma rope and hook fitted and a new fairing for the winch mount. That's one for the future.
This is the Warn 9.5 as fitted to both the white and orange G4 D3's and able to be specced on all 04-09 D3 and 09 to present D4 models from Land Rover themselves.
A.J.M

Postby tonytifoso » Tue May 19, 2015 10:51 pm

A.J.M wrote:I've bought an electric dog-lead for Alfie

:lol:
tonytifoso

Postby amccan10 » Fri Jun 05, 2015 12:55 pm

Got to hand it to you, def the most interesting thread on this forum!
amccan10

Postby EcurieArgyll » Fri Jun 05, 2015 1:14 pm

Yes indeed. Really interesting.
EcurieArgyll
Site Admin

Postby A.J.M » Thu Jul 09, 2015 2:20 pm

Small update shall be written up in a couple of weeks.

Just gathering the last of the parts then getting garage time for it.

The main one is the purchase of the D4 AMK suspension compressor to replace the current and dying Hitachi unit. :mrgreen:
A.J.M

Postby m1key » Thu Jul 23, 2015 7:50 am

That seat repair sounds like a bargain and good to see a Landie getting used properly.

Our Defender project will happen at some point but maybe awhile away at the mo.
m1key

Postby A.J.M » Mon Aug 10, 2015 3:01 pm

Update time.

Car went into local garage to get a few items done as i had a couple of days off work and sometimes it's better to let someone else get all dirty, annoyed and fed up with the car.

So. The following were changed. 4x rear hub bushes, these have been squeaking for a while and finally are done. No more noise from the suspension over bumps etc. 2 gaiters had to be changed due to small cuts. 1 cv joint.
The cv joint i could hear clicking away while off roading, it would sound when i had the car leaning over to the right extending the rear left side out which is where the joint was.

There was an issue though. The joint i supplied and bought from a LR parts store i trust, was the wrong one. It was for the front. Joint error from both store and myself as it was labled tdv6 automatic cv joint. It didn't say if it was front or rear.
A quick call from the garage saying it was the wrong one and they couldn't find a rear one which i need. A call to the store brought the news, i was only the 3rd person to ever call for a rear joint and as such, they didn't stock it.
Main dealer was the only place i could get this part. Even at 20% discount it was just over 3 times the price of a front cv joint! :shock: :shock:

The good news is for this part...

This is the long overdue replacement for my air suspension compressor.
The D3 uses a compressor called the "Hitachi" model. It is fitted to all D3 models from 04-09, all RRS models from 05-09.

It basically is a pump that pressurises the system to 120 psi. This goes to the air reservior tank that is located under the left side sill. The reserviour then sends the air under pressure to the front and rear valve blocks. These then split the air left/right to each corner for the suspension bag.
The unit has a few weak points, these include the inlet/outlet pipe cover cracking between the pipes. The air dryer clogging up/silicone gel breaking down over time. The pump piston seal leaking, the piston conrod snapping and the unit being damaged due to an incompetent garage, recovery driver or owner mistaking it for the chassis hole and rear left jacking point.

The unit has a life of 5-6 years but they have failed way less than that, or have ran way longer than that. It is luck of the draw. It's also largely to blame for the D3's slightly unfair reputation for unreliable suspension problems.

The "AMK" unit works the same. It is slightly larger than the "Hitachi" has better dampers and the 3 bolt holes and bolts to mount to the chassis are better designed. The AMK is fitted to almost all Disco 4 models, MY10+ RRS models and is proving to be far better in terms of being reliable and having a longer life. There have been a few noted failures but the rates are WAY lower than the Hitachi unit.

The other bonus is that the AMK needs the pipe work modified to fit. So i will need to cut the pipes, which neatly side steps the issue that my inlet and outlet pipes are seized to the Hitachi and won't come out.. It also comes with a whole new protective cover, pipework, new relay and will require a software update to run properly.

This is the off road screen, it doubles as the built in sat nav which is standard in SE and HSE spec models.

This lets you know about the following bits while off roading.
If you are in high or low range.
If HDC is on/off.
The suspension height, access, normal, off road, extended, super extended.
The Terrain response setting if selected. Grass gravel and snow, mud and ruts, sand, rock crawl. These alter the throttle response, the way the traction control works, how the centre and if fitted the rear locking diff works etc.
The steering angle, it will show which way the front wheels are pointing from left to right.
The 4 corners and heights for them.

The green line is the centre line, each corner will go up/down depending on terrain. If there is a red line under the wheel. It's because that wheel is lifted off the ground.

It's a very handy guide and helps with getting the most out of the car for off road use.
The best way to drive it off road is smoothly and with gentle steady throttle movements.
You can't off road them like a old Defender etc. It's a different beast and needs a different way of thinking to fully get the best from it.
You have to work with the car with smooth throttle inputs and let it work out what it want's to do.

They are highly effective though and can walk up silly steep slopes that the older models need to carry serious momentum into getting up.

https://youtu.be/KSTEzAb0UjY

This is a D4, with the 5.0 400bhp V8. in HIGH RANGE!! Or, the same mode that mums all over the world use to take their kids to school.
Look at how the wheels go, the rear bumper ( A Kaymar which i want ) and how it acts.

I've also added new wheel nuts to smarten up the alloys.
The old ones were rusty and looked really bad, so 20 new ones have been fitted to clean it up. It's a small detail but it adds to the look.

Couple of annoying parts though.

Someone very kindly hit the car in Glasgow Fort and drove off without leaving a note.
The damage is to the front arch and also to the bumper. I'm not claiming on the insurance so will eventually have to find and refit new bumper and arches.

The rear ladder is rusting where the powder coating has broken and lifted. Asking on the Disco3 forum, it's far from an isolated case.
It's going to a company in Lanark soon to be cleaned, stripped and recoated. They have a 5 year minimum warranty on the work.

Otherwise, it's business as usual. It continues to rack up the miles without complaint. It will hit 140k in the next week or so.

Plus a few videos of others in action. Please note that all these cars are running bolt on mods. The mechanical bits are all showroom spec.
The tyres, roof racks, bumpers rock sliders and snorkels etc can all be removed or added.
The basic systems of the car can't be changed from how LR made it.
https://youtu.be/D1GRbCe8w9Y
https://youtu.be/3HvxuAO2azs

You should note that lifting a wheel on a older model that isn't either equipped with air locking diffs, or traction control. Will generally stop it in it's tracks, as the front and backs are open diffs, and as power follows the path of least resistance, it goes to the wheel in the air...

It's a small point but it's something that some of the Defender drivers don't like to be reminded off when they go off claiming that they are the only "true" land rover. :lol: :lol:
A.J.M

Postby Angelus » Mon Aug 10, 2015 3:50 pm

Great update BTW. Which company in Lanark is doing the coating for you? Covanhill?
Angelus
Site Admin

Postby A.J.M » Mon Aug 10, 2015 11:01 pm

Jerwin Coatings is getting the honour of dealing with it. :lol:
http://api.viglink.com/api/click?format ... 15%2Cd.ZGU

Will get it redone in the black colour.
A.J.M

Postby Angelus » Tue Aug 11, 2015 2:14 am

Ah, yes. The big factory right at the level crossing. Never actually seen any of their work, didn't think they done automotive stuff? Now I know. Let us know how they are to deal with. :D
Angelus
Site Admin

Postby A.J.M » Tue Aug 11, 2015 11:01 pm

So far they are good.

Emailed them with pictures of the rust and the ladder on the car. Been quoted £80 plus vat for the work. Shall see if that can be made £80. ;)
A.J.M

Postby Nera » Fri Aug 21, 2015 10:22 pm

Great update - great to see someone really using their vehicle off road. On a hoon last week down the Muirkirk road and saw four landies in a field by a burn - thought of you :D
Nera

Postby A.J.M » Tue Dec 08, 2015 10:42 am

Another update.

Firstly, an investment for the car and future models.

This is an iid tool. It's basically a main dealer diagnostic tool that plugs into the car and is controlled via my phone.

It can check pretty much everything, from injector flow values, to compressor running temperatures, to reset the systems, upgrade software, unlock hidden features and play about with the air suspension.

Costly but it's worth it.
It can also plug into other D3/4s and L323 and RRS models and I can check codes, clear faults and do basic checks with it.

It's locked to the Disco vin number, I can buy additional vin numbers if needed in time.

These are a snap shot of the injector value readings.
Generally, close to 1000 is ideal, the operation range is 700 to 1200. Out of those and we have a problem.
Injector 5 is over fuelling and needs replaced.
I've bought a new one and have the injector fitting kit for it. Will be swapped in the next few days.

From chats in the Dusco forum, 5 is responsible for 2 other injectors reading low.

The other main code reading was this.

These are the fault codes for the compressor.

So.
Supported car on blocked at the rear to give better access and with the iid tool.
I deflated the full system of air. This sunk the car down on to the bump stops and I could begin.

Old pump was removed by cutting the 2 pipes and unbolting a pipe off the middle valve block for the suspension.

This shows the difference in the new AMK vs the old hitachi unit.

Another comparison between the old and new.

New chassis brackets getting fitted.

The biggest issues were getting the electrical connectors unplugged as they were caked in mud and getting the new bracket top bolt fitted.
My 10mm ratchet spanner is broken so had to use a normal one and it's 1/8th of a turn at a time.

The bottom was sorted with long 10mm socket, extension bar and a flat head screw driver turning it. Torqued to FT setting.

Now. When the covers were fitted and the AMK software updated on the car via the iid tool. It threw up a problem.

Not what you want to have when you've finished the build, luckily it just needed a re enable of the EAS system. New pump turned on and started to reflate and pressurise the system.

Car slowly rose back up to normal height and I left it to idle for a while to let the new pump have the system fully sorted.

The guide I followed is here. Shows a more in depth version of changing the pumps.
http://www.disco3.co.uk/forum/topic8416 ... hlight=AMK

Not all good news with the car sadly.

Back in the summer, one of the cv boots at the front was changed. When the driveshaft was rebuilt, the outer boot wasn't clipped back properly.
It worked loose and the outer joint failed.
A very dry looking joint.

Unfortunately, it gave up near the fort on the M8.
Limped it on a bit but had to stop near the showcase cinema and call the rac.

Top tip, should you need to stop on the motorway, stop next to these SOS phones.
They have a direct link to transport Scotland and also a location code on them which avoids all messing about trying to explain your location.

I did get a van behind me while I waited.

Generally, the larger cars get recovered off the motorway to reduce danger to driver and recovery driver.
We nearly had a HGV crash into us even with the van showing "brake down" on the screen.

Got recovered home and took car back to garage to get fixed.

Car is about to tick over 144k and will be 11 years old on the 18th of this month.

In talks with flatdog4x4 to sort out a price for a gift for it.

On a happy note, I've been enjoying some of the puddles from the recent rain.

http://youtu.be/iwZ2rZDXSB8
A.J.M

Postby Andrew[MG] » Tue Dec 08, 2015 11:56 am

Good work on the pump upgrade!

What's the treat you're getting it?
Andrew[MG]
Site Admin

PreviousNext

Return to Projects