Porsche 924s

Porsche 924s

Postby frag68 » Sun Jun 07, 2015 1:10 am

Having read John's article on "Arfur", I was inspired to write about "Joby" my new 924s. I do need to think of a better name, but the last 3 letters or it's registration are JBO and that was the first word which sprung to mind.

2 weeks ago, I decided to add to my fleet and purchased a 1985 924s which has potential, or at least that is how I described it to my wife after buying it and not letting on for a few days. The shell is in fairly good condition given its 30 years and whilst only having 97k on the clock, I suspect that is 197k, The car needs some cosmetic work doing as and when the funds become available, such as a re-trim of the interior, probably a bottom half respray, an exhaust, and as I discovered the other day in our lovely summer weather, some seal somewhere, as the back seats are soaking, Don't know whether it's the sunroof, the hatch seal or a quarter glass seal, but need to get on to it quick as I don't want it rotting from the inside out.

However 1980s Porsche electrics left me in the lurch yesterday, when after I cleaned the car out, washed it and gave it an Angelwax quick detailing spray, I loaded the cases in the boot to head off to a wedding, and it wouldn't start. It was turning over but the fuel pump isn't running, so suspect a fuse or a DME relay, which I will investigate tomorrow morning. The annoying part is, I was out in the car the 2 days before and it was flawless, and was looking forward to the trip up to Perthshire. The Westfield wasn't an option due to the luggage and weather so the Skoda was the chosen car.

The car was bought very much as a work in progress and is to be used on the days where the weather dictates that the Westfield remains in the garage. It is my intention to clean the car up and get it mechanically and cosmetically sound over the next couple of years and at the same time hope the values increase, to the point where I have a good example car which is appreciating in value.

Hopefully I can have the car running tomorrow and have it out on the run on the 21st if the weather is typically Scottish.
frag68

Re: Porsche 924s

Postby Angelus » Sun Jun 07, 2015 6:31 am

I miss my old 924 and thought a 944 was an upgrade when I was thinking of a change ( it wasn't BTW ). Love the car, after seeing it at the breakfast meet and look forward to seeing it come back to its former glory. :D
Angelus
Site Admin

Postby OlberJ » Sun Jun 07, 2015 9:07 am

Love seeing this era of Porsche slowly getting the recognition they deserve. They handle so sweetly.

Any pics to add atm?

Defo try the dme relay. Worth carrying a spare in the car too, just in case.
OlberJ
Site Admin

Postby frag68 » Sun Jun 07, 2015 10:11 pm

Got the car running today. Checked the fuses and all were OK, and when I was looking at the wiring, which is really tidy, I noticed a very small toggle switch linked to a black box, which I assume is the immobiliser, and I flicked to toggle switch and I heard something click on the drivers side, so round I went and the car started. The toggle switch must be a fuel pump kill switch and when I was up there with the hoover, I must have accidentally knocked it.

I have a DME relay in the glove box Ollie, as I know how what these are like.

So the old car is back in the land of the living. Just need to get some free time and cash to start doing some work on it. There is vibration off the car, and I am not sure what it is. I suspect it may be an engine or transmission mount as I get it at idle as well as moving. Needs investigating when I get time.
frag68

Postby Angelus » Sun Jun 07, 2015 10:16 pm

Don't forget, parts for these are often cheapest from Porsche. Phone Glasgow and ask for Danny Anderson, knows his stuff when it comes to 80's Porsches. :D
Angelus
Site Admin

Postby m1key » Thu Jul 23, 2015 7:45 am

Look forward to seeing the car progress. I really like the front engine Porsches, had a 944 and 968 which were both great.
m1key

Return to Projects