Discovery 3

Re: Discovery 3

Postby Andrew[MG] » Thu Apr 20, 2017 1:46 pm

That's quite an uplift in power. How do you expect it to change your MPG?
Andrew[MG]
Site Admin

Postby A.J.M » Mon Apr 24, 2017 10:41 pm

Once it all settles down with the new parts, i expect a 2-3 mpg gain under normal driving conditions.

Making use of the extra power will dent that quickly but friends who have had D3's remapped with good remaps all report a gain in fuel economy.
Plus the better torque is handy for pulling away quickly from junctions etc. Something that was always a weak spot with the auto D3.

I'm hoping for May, but knowing my luck with it, it will be June. :roll:

I've had to knock the box work back to mid May which has thrown a spanner in things.
Plus i need to get the paintwork sorted which will take a week at least.
A.J.M

Postby fyreside12 » Mon Jul 17, 2017 4:25 am

Too bad I can't view the photos. I think it's Photobucket's fault.
fyreside12

Postby A.J.M » Tue Sep 19, 2017 11:12 pm

Yeah, Photobucket is making you pay for using it so i need to sort a new site for all my pictures.

Not attempted to move pictures due to A, not finding something to transfer them to, B, having an internet connection that's decent. C, not having time to do it all. B has been sorted though.

Car is all built back up with it's gear back on. Looking better than the plain look.

Mpg has gone up a touch, drive ability is far better and low down grunt is much better as well.

The car did finally, get it's new torque converter and gearbox replaced at the start of the summer. Old unit managed 160,955 miles before blowing the main shaft seal and well, that was the end of that gearbox. Luckily, it did it, the night before it was going to Prestige to get replaced, so i drove it there.

New box fitted, oil and filter sorted, new tie bars at the rear, a steering inner arm, new coolant, power steering and brake fluid change and bleed up and an alignment. Car left driving much better and my wallet much, much lighter.
Glow plugs are sadly, all seized in the heads, and injector 6 is also seized, proper pain that is.
So next year the body is getting lifted off the chassis and the heads will come off to get them sorted, plus new belts, tensioners and new water and oil pumps, plus a few other things while it's up in the air.

Mileage is now past 165k, cars running well and with a few upgrades still waiting to go. It's got plenty of life left.

Plus, i now have a 2nd landy to keep it company. Only 64 years separate their trip down the Solihull assembly line.. :lol: ;)
A.J.M

Postby Angelus » Wed Sep 20, 2017 11:53 am

Pictures of the second Landy please. :D
Angelus
Site Admin

Postby m1key » Sat Nov 18, 2017 10:51 pm

That's an impressive mileage!
m1key

Postby A.J.M » Thu Oct 11, 2018 12:28 pm

So. Photobucket seems to be hosting again.
Which is nice.

The Disco is still alive, well and closing in on 183,000 miles.
It’s still being used for pretty much everything I can think of.
Work car, off roader, tow car, van, and the roof rack continues to earn its keep for carrying everything I can tie down on it, from fences to mountain bikes.

Car went to Le Mans in June, 5 bikes on the roof rack and towing a camping trailer... a nice 1760 miles in a week.

Otherwise, it got it’s belts changed, new water and oil pump, new wheel bearings, front diff rebuilt and 4 new air struts along with some other bits sorted.

Before Winter sets in, it will get it’s 3rd set of Goodyear Duratrac tyres. I’ve managed just under 50,000 out of the current set which is pretty good going.

And since life with only one Land Rover is boring.
Step forward another project...

This is my 1950 80” Series 1 trails car. To be enjoyed as a toy and off road car.
It’s got no power anything, no assistance for anything. Drum brakes, plugs and points, leaf springs and no synchro for 1st and 2nd.
A.J.M

Previous

Return to Projects