Eunos Roadster (1.8) Mazdaspeed B-Spec Stage II

Eunos Roadster (1.8) Mazdaspeed B-Spec Stage II

Postby scotty dugg » Tue Dec 19, 2017 2:05 pm

Hi all,
Though I had best start a thread now that I've re-located to Glasgow, car's not yet on the road but hoping it will be for the warmer weather next year.

It's an Eunos Roadster (1.8) Mazdaspeed B-Spec Stage II, effectively an MX-5 imported from Japan in 2005. I won it June last year in one of those Facebook bonus ball raffles (yes people do win them :lol: ) for £20.00.

The owner before me, had used it as a daily and drift car, so wasn't in the best of condition but came with a few choice parts. The drivers front wing and door had a nice "aftermarket" contour supplied by an Astra, likely down to the welded diff it had fitted.

How it arrived:
ImageMX-5 NA Day 1 by Scott Reid, on Flickr
Quick wash and "scene" stickers removed:
ImageMX5 1-2 by Scott Reid, on Flickr
Wasn't in too bad a shape underneath, one patch of rust but solid otherwise the paint however was pretty bad.
Anyway, I digress, the details:
•93' Plate, Imported in 2005.
•1.8 L Engine, modified by Mazdaspeed with aftermarket camshaft, larger pistons, ECU putting out 170BHP (130bhp Standard).
•Mileage: 125,000km (78,000miles)
ImageMX5 1-6 by Scott Reid, on Flickr
Since taking ownership we've done our best to try get it back up to daily driving standard, lot's of things done, likely too much to list at present. But so far only the dash and engine haven't been removed and refitted. I'll let the pictures do the talking:
ImageMX5 3-3 by Scott Reid, on Flickr
ImageMX5 NA -14" by Scott Reid, on Flickr
ImageMX5 NA 20/08/2017 by Scott Reid, on Flickr
ImageMX5 NA 02/09/2017 by Scott Reid, on Flickr
ImageMX-5 13/09/2017 by Scott Reid, on Flickr
ImageMX5 NA 29/10/2017 by Scott Reid, on Flickr
ImageMX-5 NA 19/11/2017 by Scott Reid, on Flickr

I'll try keep this up to date, especially when it's back on the road down here, I've already bought the Tartan Tarmac sticker for the rear!

Thanks,
Scott
scotty dugg

Re: Eunos Roadster (1.8) Mazdaspeed B-Spec Stage II

Postby Andrew[MG] » Tue Dec 19, 2017 10:47 pm

That's a fair bit of work you've put in already! What are your plans for it?

TT sticker should add a few bhp.
Andrew[MG]
Site Admin

Postby scotty dugg » Wed Dec 20, 2017 9:50 am

Andrew[MG] wrote:That's a fair bit of work you've put in already! What are your plans for it?

TT sticker should add a few bhp.

Far more than we thought we'd have to do, but it was too solid to scrap once we got it. We really need to a second car again so ideally it'll become my daily driver.

Been struggling to get time to work on it, spent the last few months accumulating far more parts than is sensible.

Hopefully have some updates after the festive period.
scotty dugg

Postby OlberJ » Sat Dec 23, 2017 11:07 am

Do love an mx5.

Had a 1.8 mk1 for a couple of years myself. Best experience was on a hoon with a 996t and a z4m through glencoe. Took them ages to get past and by time we were at the carpark they wouldn't let me leave till I'd opened the bonnet to show it was still N/A.

Fantastic chassis with just a set of Konis.

Well done for saving this from abuse!
OlberJ
Site Admin

Postby m1key » Mon Dec 25, 2017 8:07 pm

Nice project, looking forward to seeing the progress.
m1key

Postby Angelus » Fri Dec 29, 2017 8:39 pm

That looks like a great project, fun too. :D
Angelus
Site Admin

Postby scotty dugg » Tue Jan 02, 2018 5:51 pm

Thanks guys, indeed they are great cars for what they are, no abs or traction control so will be a handful.
scotty dugg

Postby scotty dugg » Wed Feb 14, 2018 4:50 pm

We tried the car through an MOT, see if we've missed anything so far now that summer is looming. It failed on emissions and a few other things.

Emissions test results were:
Fast Idle CO(%): Limits Max: 0.30, Actual Value: 8.88!
Second Fast Idle CO(%): Limits Max:0.30, Actual Value: 9.14

Not good, not good at all!

So, where to begin....throughout this whole debacle I've tried to resist doing anything with the Mazdaspeed engine, a rebuild of any sort and it would be more economical to swap the engine. With that, the inevitable has happened and at this stage I'm so far down the rabbit hole giving up would be a financial mistake, so the decision is made, out the engine comes.

We're committed!

I've never swapped an engine before, but I've watched a few You-tube videos, so that's about the same right?

First things first, drop the fresh oil that went in 20 miles ago:
ImageMX5-NA 05/02/2018 by Scott Reid, on Flickr
Oh dear, that's not a good sign x_x

Next, remove the radiator and any attached hoses wires, taking care to label everything for ease of re-installation, I'll need a new radiator fan as it's pretty beat up.

We decided to leave the gearbox in the car, having already swapped the clutch we knew what to expect regarding bell housing bolts etc. Only tough points were disconnecting the starter motor electrical connections. Engine ready to be removed:
Engine out, the bays covered in a lot of oil:
Old engine right and replacement left:
Decided to swap over the starter and alternator as we knew they worked, also changed: rubber fuel lines, oil cooler rubber hoses, oil filter, rear camshaft seal, coolant hoses, many many hose clips that had perished.

MOT failed on an oil leak at the rear of the block, the likely culprit being the CAS O-ring, looked like it had never been changed since the factory, brittle like plastic with no play. For anyone that hasn't changed this I'd recommend getting it done, the heater hose below hadn't burst with oil dripping on it, but it wasn't in good condition and couldn't have been far off.

After that it was a case of getting the replacement engine into the car, not as bad as expected, it can be done leaving the box in place. I'm not sure there would be much time difference between the two methods.

So that's how it sits currently: exhaust manifold, air intake, new oil and new coolant are to be sorted then we can see if it starts and how well it runs.

I've still to get replacement exhaust gaskets, engine mounts, a ball joint and some dust covers. Plus a new radiator fan an lower radiator mounting brackets as they're toast.

Once we've confirmed it works and passed an MOT, the engine will get new plugs, leads, water pump and cam-belt.

So the project lumbers on, not quite as special as before, but at least it might actually get on the road this year!

The plan is to do the NC500 again in April, hopefully on schedule again!
scotty dugg

Postby Andrew[MG] » Thu Feb 15, 2018 12:12 pm

Top work - that's some dedication to the mx5 cause!
Andrew[MG]
Site Admin

Postby scotty dugg » Thu Feb 15, 2018 1:30 pm

Andrew[MG] wrote:Top work - that's some dedication to the mx5 cause!

More a case of "we've come to far it'd be stupid to turn back!"

Suggestions on where TT sticker should go welcome :D

Now it's looking like it'll actually get finished :lol:
scotty dugg

Postby Andrew[MG] » Fri Feb 16, 2018 2:29 pm

scotty dugg wrote:
Suggestions on where TT sticker should go welcome :D

Get a few to cover any bits of bodywork that need more attention :lol:
Andrew[MG]
Site Admin

Postby scotty dugg » Tue Apr 24, 2018 12:08 pm

So, since the car passed it's MOT last month, work has continued to get it on the road officially as well as a bit of wheeling and dealing.

I seem to have amassed some parts I'll never need or that have been replaced, so in an effort to clear some space had minor clear out, this included the Bronze 15x7" ET30 Wheels with Toyo T1-R.
ImageMX5 29/08/2017 by Scott Reid, on Flickr
Why were these sold? Managed to pick up a set of 14"x6 ET40 Panasport fitted with some Avon tires, a case of right place right time. Quoted at roughly 13.3kg each (including tire), a stark comparison to the 19kg each wheels/tires they replaced.

What is it they say? 1kg of un-sprung = 10kg of sprung weight? Hopefully that makes a difference, but I've no starting point for a comparison.

Other things that have been completed: new roof has been fitted and seems to have added head clearance as well as improving the exterior as it's actually black, HSD's pre-load adjusted from rock solid back to stock.

Some issues still persist though:
- Idle is around 1000-1200rpm and in our search for the cause we have replaced the rear coolant temp sensor, had the throttle body off to try clean out all idle control parts, searched for any air leaks. Next step is replaced the whole thing and try again.
- Underseal, paint, dents!

I digress though, after almost a year of ownership, the car is now ready for the road and my first time driving it. Gratuitous first drive shots:
ImageMX5 NA 19/04/2018 by Scott Reid, on Flickr

Absolutely love it, without trying to waffle on about stuff that's been covered before, it really is a much rawer driving experience and with the HSD's adjusted towards soft it's actually quite comfortable (if you avoid pot holes and drain covers).

Odd quirks I've noticed are driving with the pop-ups up is bizarre, the side mirrors are really far back and these make a passing Ford Focus look HGV huge!

Here's a before (May 2017) and after (April 2018):
ImageMX-5 NA Day 1 by Scott Reid, on Flickr

Hopefully make it to a breakfast meet in May, car will be down end of this month start of next hopefully (with it's sticker). Looking forward to clyde tunnel with the roof down! :D
scotty dugg

Postby Johngtr32 » Tue Apr 24, 2018 1:29 pm

Great job done on what now looks a cracking little car. Look forward to seeing it at a meet soon.
Johngtr32

Postby highlander » Tue Apr 24, 2018 7:00 pm

Wow Scott, just......wow!
What a transformation, well done that man!
highlander

Postby Andrew[MG] » Wed Apr 25, 2018 11:42 am

All the effort looks to have paid off. That's going to be a cracking wee hoon machine for the summer months!
Andrew[MG]
Site Admin

Next

Return to Projects