Which 125?

Which 125?

Postby OlberJ » Thu Dec 12, 2013 12:41 pm

Having passed my CBT a few months ago, i've been on the look out for a 125 to get some experience with.

Thoughts are to buy over winter, repair/tweak it and then get use out of it when the weather gets a bit better.

Would quite like an Aprilia RS but not the insurance premium! What did you all start out on?
OlberJ
Site Admin

Re: Which 125?

Postby nickduddy » Thu Dec 12, 2013 4:55 pm

I did the DAS so ended up with a big bike as my first one. Was pretty cheap to run and the insurance was only a couple of hundred for the first year.

I'm not too sure about the more recent models of Aprilla but back in the day a friend of my bought a new 125 and it was continuously breaking. Once I had to help him push it up a hill so he could get home. Generally though, 125's don't have the same build quality as larger bikes, not sure why that is...
I would steer away from anything with fairings in the first year because you will drop the bike and it just ads to the price of fixing things, that is if money is an issue. In saying that I'm pretty small and my bike is pretty bike so maybe I was more liky not to be able to catch the bike on it's way down.

Another thing which I heard is that you can get a big bike restricted to a 125 and as long as you have the paperwork it's still legal for you to drive. I'd check that out to be sure it's still true. It was what I was going to do if I'd failed my DAS.
nickduddy

Postby OlberJ » Thu Dec 12, 2013 5:25 pm

They have to be restricted to 33bhp but didn't think you could do it on a bigger bike. I will investigate, cheers.
OlberJ
Site Admin

Postby amccan10 » Thu Dec 19, 2013 1:45 pm

olie as you're not a complete fuckwit i'd recommend going for a big bike straight off.

Most sensible thing my brother has ever done. No point in fannying about on the wee bikes then sitting the test only to be restricted in bike size once you've passed.

Pretty sure it was this that he done: http://www.route66training.com/FirstDas.php
amccan10

Postby nickduddy » Mon Dec 23, 2013 12:22 pm

Ahh! Didn't realise you were over 21. Yes do the DAS! My cousin, brother and I all did it around the same time. Totally worth it. We did the 5 days in a row course and all passed first time.
...Just remember to squeeze the tank and lean :) I couldn't get my head round that at first and nearly went through a corner.
nickduddy

Postby tonytifoso » Mon Jan 06, 2014 9:16 pm

You've got to go the proper bike route mate. My son in law to be passed his test at 14:00 hrs and had bought a Suzuki GSXR750 by 16:30 hrs. I have to admit though, I have to ride my Vespa GT125 with determination to keep up ;) . His best man to be (in a fit of green-eyed envy) went and bought a Kawasaki ZX6R before he'd even passed!! I do love a green meanie :mrgreen:
tonytifoso

Postby JohnnyR6 » Sat Apr 26, 2014 11:23 pm

There are 2 ways to look at this.
1, if you want a bike now to learn on you need the 125. There a few good 125's. (cagiva mito and rs125) but the strokers are very highly strung. Great power for a 125 but need a lot of looking after and quite cramped for bigger riders. The 4 strokes are slower but still can be fun and much more reliable, like the yzf125 or ktm duke for a different style.

2, do the das on a hire bike then buy yourself a bigger bike.

I was always a big believer of start off small and work up. Learn about corner speed and getting the best out your bike before moving onto a bigger bike but now that i'm older and slower and big bikes are so quick now there is no need to get the most out of them, on the road anyway (unless you like prison).

So i'd say go for the DAS route but stay sensible once you pass. Something like the sv650 is a good starting point. I know and have heard of others who after passing their tests bought bike sports bikes and ended up dead or seriously injured.

Best of luck with it, johnny.
JohnnyR6

Postby B33rzo » Tue May 13, 2014 2:22 pm

I passed my CBT a few years back with the intention of only running a 125. I had a Honda CBR 125R being over 6ft it felt like riding a child's bike.

I then sat my restricted test and then went for a Honda CBR 600 F, restricted to 33HP which feels quick compared to the 125. After my two years I de-restricted the 600 and its a totally different beast after that.

I am glad that I had went for the restricted bike but but not the restricted test route. The 33HP on the 600cc bike is more than enough to gain experience and confidence with.
B33rzo

Postby OlberJ » Tue May 13, 2014 3:44 pm

What's the score with the restricted test then, is it not as involved as the DAS?
OlberJ
Site Admin

Postby B33rzo » Wed May 14, 2014 1:27 pm

Restricted test is the exact same as the DAS but you use a 125cc bike.

You have two parts to the test part 1 off road manoeuvres and part 2 on road test much the same as a car test. You must pass part 1 before you can sit part 2.
B33rzo

Return to Bikes