South of France July 2015

Post your Euro road trips in here.

South of France July 2015

Postby newro » Fri Jun 05, 2015 2:32 pm

As suggested by a few at the last Breakfast meet, might be fun to open a thread here and discuss some options.

The rough plan for the trip is heading to Amsterdam on the 4th of July where we meet with some friends, then head through Germany into Austria. heading over to Switzerland, down to Italy and into France. Until taking the return ferry on 18th.

Any roads that can be recommended?

Also, I was wondering if it would be wise to book Hotels in advanced? Last time I did a trip like this it was fine to just stop and ask whenever we felt like it, but that was off season. Don't want to find myself in a situation where we spend hours looking for a room? So while it might be safer to book in advanced, I would hate to lose the flexibility. Maybe just get something for Monaco?
newro

Re: South of France July 2015

Postby Hoonmeister » Fri Jun 05, 2015 3:47 pm

Book everything ahead via booking.com
Ask Angelus to email you the Gumbaw 12 route files.
Enjoy.
Hoonmeister

Postby Robert Burns » Fri Jun 05, 2015 5:02 pm

I'll dig out my last 3 tours around europe when I get home.
Robert Burns

Postby Angelus » Fri Jun 05, 2015 7:25 pm

Hoonmeister wrote:Book everything ahead via booking.com
Ask Angelus to email you the Gumbaw 12 route files.
Enjoy.

Should dig these out and post them here in the Gumbaw thread?
Angelus
Site Admin

Postby m1key » Sun Jun 07, 2015 1:31 pm

I'll dig out the routes we used on last years extended Le Mans trip too.
As suggested, if you're going peak season then I'd book places in advance.
m1key

Postby kieranv » Tue Jun 09, 2015 10:06 am

I'm going to do a write up type thing of our trip from last week. We did Amsterdam, Germany, Switzerland, France, Belgium and back to Amsterdam.

We hadn't booked anything apart from the first night and just went on booking.com app for the next night, worked pretty well, there was only one night we struggled, when staying in Interlaken over the weekend.

I think if I was going to do a similar trip again I'd probably get one of the crossings further south from Amsterdam. Day 1 was spent getting as far south as possible on the motorway and was a long day to start the holiday. Likewise with the final day, just getting from Belgium to Amsterdam as quick as possible. Other than that we avoided all motorways and had a blast.
kieranv

Postby Angelus » Tue Jun 09, 2015 11:11 am

I've copied the route from the original 2012 Eurohoon, I'll save them on the Gumbaw thread for prosperity. Day 1 was Glasgow to Hull for the ferry.

Day 2

drangular wrote:Amended suggested route

* http://maps.google.co.uk/maps?f=d&sourc ... 21&t=h&z=7
* Leave the boat at 8.30.
* Drive for 2 hours. Stop at Venlo on the Dutch/German border for coffee/fuel. (half hour max.)
* Drive for 1hr 30 to arrive at Nurburgring at 12.30. for lunch. (1 hour)(Lunch venue still to be identified)
* Drive for 2 hours (plus any fuel stops) to arrive at Hockenheim at 15.30/16.00.
* An hour in the Motorsport Museum. (closes at 17.00) http://www.hockenheimring.net/en/motor-sport-museum
* Drive for 1hr 15 to arrive in Stuttgart at just after 18.00
* Freshen up for dinner at 19.00 at Block House in Stuttgart city centre. http://www.block-house.de/block-house-r ... ation/?L=6
* Menu here - http://www.block-house.de/fileadmin/ima ... Preise.pdf
Times above are based on Google maps estimates so we could find we reach our destinations more quickly than this depending on traffic.
I've also posted some stuff that I thought might be of interest on PH.
Any views/suggestions welcome.
Steve

Day 3

Hoonmeister wrote:Link to googlemaps planned route Part One:
http://g.co/maps/qcm2y
Link to googlemaps planned route Part Two:
http://g.co/maps/k5e36

Day 4

Crazy Turbo Beast wrote:Updated route http://g.co/maps/5ztp6

Switzerland is a bit sparse for petrol stations so I've listed some as close to our stops as possible or en-route. Basically allowed for 1 between stops as everybody may be needing different fill ups depending on car/right foot etc.

My car will be empty after 2 hours hard driving or maybe 4 hours touring. I'll include maps of the petrol station and stops in the final pack.
There are some other petrol stations (albeit not many before san bernadino!) if anyone is caught out but I think what is listed should be more than enough.

331 Miles 7hours 9mins (plus stops)

Updated itinerary:

0845 (A) Haus Marillac Hotel Meet and prep for leaving. Discuss any plan changes. Full tanks.
0900 Set off for Turin (via Davos, San Bernadino) See notes above for route info.
Petrol Station Scuol, Switzerland R27
1030-1100 (B) Fluela Pass Comfort Break/Tea/Photo Stop Hotel Fluela Hospiz
Petrol Station Thusis, Switzerland E43/R13
1230-1400 (C) San Bernadino Pass. Photo Stop at Pass. Drive to San Bernadino for Lunch
Choose Albergo Suiss, Ristorante Centrale, Hotel Arbarella
Petrol Station Mesocco, Switzerland E43/R13
15.30-1600 (D) Verbania Comfort Break/Tea/Photo Stop
Plenty Cafés/Restaurants nearby
Petrol Station Verbania, Italy SS34
1800 (E) Turin Arrive Hotel Pacific Fortino
Unload cars, freshen up. Fill up fuel check fluids/tyres etc
Petrol Station Near Hotel, Via Francesco Cigna
2000 Dinner
Pizzeria Trattoria Sichi Giuliano/Ausiliatrice Trattoria (bit further)/Quadrilatero Area (further still)
2200 Free time/pissup Hotel Bar
Le Roi & ‘Discoteca Notorius’ nearby.

Day 5

Lee wrote:It is possible. If we stop for a leg stretch in Cuneo, point D on the map, then fill up with petrol at point F before we go into France?
Angelus
Site Admin

Postby newro » Fri Jun 12, 2015 11:41 am

Wow! Thanks for all the info!!!

Sorry for the late reply, with the weather this nice and the sun up so long, I did not waste a lot of time in front of a computer :)

kieranv wrote:We hadn't booked anything apart from the first night and just went on booking.com app for the next night, worked pretty well, there was only one night we struggled, when staying in Interlaken over the weekend.

That seems like a very reasonable idea. Hotels for Amsterdam already booked as I meet up with a couple of people there. Still looking for a secure park and ride though. Do not fancy the idea of driving through Amsterdam, so going to leave the car somewhere over the weekend with most of our stuff in it.

Drive from Germany to Austria will be almost only motorway I am afraid, for the rest I try to avoid it as much as possible tough :)

Will have to go through the routes in detail - but some really great recommendations there. Surprised you guys didn't go over the Grossglockner or Stelvio?

And advice on what recent regulations demands one to bring along: First Add Kit, Signal Vest, Spare Bulbs, Smoking Test, Green Insurance card, ... anything I missed?
newro

Postby KB_S1 » Tue Jun 16, 2015 4:24 pm

Amsterdam driving was not fun, I caught a rim on a kerb coming out of the underground car park at Centraal as I was so stressed at the number of people/trams/bikes all around me.

If you have an iPad you can save a full google map itinerary as an iBook, it is then very easy to search through the route by name or road number.
Print one out too and it becomes very useful.
I would suggest keeping all car/route material in one zip up folder. That way you always know where it all is - it always goes in the same place in car - saves any panic when approaching borders etc.

Grimsel/Susten/Furka was amazing.
A'bahns in the South of Germany were poor.

Be very wary of unmarked patrol cars in Switzerland - they were using black BMW 335i variants when we were there.

Take a sun shade for the windscreen. We did and still saw 48˚c when parked up in Annecy!

If you can get a credit card that is guaranteed to work in France you can save a lot of money on fuel by using the supermarkets - they are all self serve and our debit cards didn't work. Difference was approx 15p a litre.
KB_S1

Postby Angelus » Wed Jun 17, 2015 11:26 am

Angelus
Site Admin

Postby newro » Mon Jun 22, 2015 8:18 pm

KB_S1 wrote:Amsterdam driving was not fun, I caught a rim on a kerb coming out of the underground car park at Centraal as I was so stressed at the number of people/trams/bikes all around me.

If you have an iPad you can save a full google map itinerary as an iBook, it is then very easy to search through the route by name or road number.
Print one out too and it becomes very useful.
I would suggest keeping all car/route material in one zip up folder. That way you always know where it all is - it always goes in the same place in car - saves any panic when approaching borders etc.

I'll have a TomTom with me for the traffic and speed cameras, as well as the app on my phone. And I'll also going to have a rough printout of the route and all reservations, as history has shown, a paper backup is always a good idea.

KB_S1 wrote:Grimsel/Susten/Furka was amazing.

Thanks, noted!

KB_S1 wrote:A'bahns in the South of Germany were poor.

Be very wary of unmarked patrol cars in Switzerland - they were using black BMW 335i variants when we were there.

Yeah, I am very much aware of the Autobahn condition in Bavaria, I drive them a lot.

This is only the second time I'll be going through Switzerland, but I was already warned by several friends to watch my speed. When you cross the border to Italy it is quite bad too, they like the cash in on tourists.

KB_S1 wrote:Take a sun shade for the windscreen. We did and still saw 48˚c when parked up in Annecy!

If you can get a credit card that is guaranteed to work in France you can save a lot of money on fuel by using the supermarkets - they are all self serve and our debit cards didn't work. Difference was approx 15p a litre.

Convertible, so no sun shade for the windscreen required, once you open the roof all the hot air is going up. Parking it with the roof down however ... ouch! I knew guys with an old MG who had an umbrella they always put up. Especially black leather is no fun in the sun!

Thanks for the advice with the super markets. Haven't thought about that.
Credit card is fine, I have my British and Austrian with me.

Yeah, as an Austrian myself I am well aware. Might have forgotten about Switzerland, don't intend to use the Autobahn there.

That is an interesting site, btw. Never came across buying them online. Easy enough to just get them at the border crossing or in an Traffik . The prices are fixed by the ASFINAG, so it really doesn't matter.
newro

Postby KB_S1 » Tue Jun 23, 2015 4:22 pm

Italy - speeding…..I think I was doing imperial to their metric.
And I was about the slowest thing on the road!
KB_S1

Postby newro » Wed Jun 24, 2015 6:09 pm

KB_S1 wrote:Italy - speeding…..I think I was doing imperial to their metric.
And I was about the slowest thing on the road!

I know :)

That's why I mentioned be careful at the boarder. When crossing from Austria to Italy they like to wait there with a laser gun to cash off some tourists. Once you are clear from the boarder ... well, as you said.
newro

Postby newro » Sat Jul 25, 2015 11:20 am

Thought I share some of the roads and sceneries.

A mad grin, before taking on the Stelvio pass.

The other side of Stilfser Joch.

Flüela Pass, Switzerland.

We were not the only ones.

One of the tunnels around lake Como.

Talking about tunnels, of course you would. Monte Carlo.

On the way back up, Route Napoléon
newro

Postby Angelus » Sat Jul 25, 2015 12:15 pm

Some great photo's, glad you're enjoying yourself. :D
Angelus
Site Admin

Next

Return to Euro Trips